chapter twenty-five

━━━━━━━▲━━━━━━━

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

"WATCH WHAT HAPPENS"

━━━━━━━▼━━━━━━━

AFTER CROSSING THE Brooklyn Bridge, you had decided that it was about time to start looking for Jack. Davey and yourself had looked down every alley on the way to the Lodging House and searched every deli or restroom that Jack had ever stepped foot into. By the time the sun began to set, it seemed like you had searched everywhere.

"I don't get it," you started, "How can someone just disappear?" As you said it, you realized you'd done the exact same. You'd disappeared from your apartment with nothing but a name. Was anybody looking for you? Probably not.

"Maybe he doesn't want to be found."

He was probably right. Even you yourself didn't want to be found by someone from your previous life. Maybe you shouldn't go looking for Jack? You knew it was a stupid idea, of course you needed to look for Jack. You needed to find him and get the rally in order.

Where would Jack want to go, though? That was the real question. The only place you knew he loved to go was the Lodge, to see the boys, and the theatre, to see Medda. As soon as you thought about it, you realized that was it.

"I've got it!" You shouted, nearly scaring Davey to death. "The theatre! Jack loves it there, and he went there last time we needed to escape trouble." You elaborated. Davey smiled and nodded and the two of you took off for the Bowery.

***

The two of you hadn't stopped running when you entered the attic of the Bowery. It seemed like you'd followed the exact path that you came when you were running from Snyder. Davey was leading the way and already sped out into the catwalk.

"How about letting a pal know you're alive?" He yelled, presumably to someone below the catwalk. You had assumed it was Jack. However, you were still a little ways behind, thanks to your minor injuries.

"Davey, wait up!" You hollered, panting as you caught up with him. Your feet slapped the wood of the rickety catwalk, until you caught up with Davey. You grabbed onto Davey's shoulder to steady yourself, before looking down onto the theatre floor, where Jack Kelly was standing. He stood there, staring at you, mouth slightly ajar. He hadn't seen you for you yet, which seemed to be the case for a lot of people. He had dropped the paint brush he was holding onto he ground and couldn't seem to speak.

"Hey, Jack." You said, giving him a small smile.

"Who're–" he started, "Shortstack?" He realized. You gave a small nod before rushing down the stairs to the theatre floor. Davey followed you down. You sped over to Jack, as fast as you could without paining your leg too much. As soon as you made it to Jack, you gave him a hug around his middle. At first, he didn't respond, but eventually melted into the hug and returned it. You could've imagined that he dealt with someone in your situation before, but in reality it probably hadn't happened, at least not to Jack.