It starts here

She won the match that day.

He remembers the smell of wet grass, taste of iron in his mouth and the sound of girlish laughter from behind.

"That's 49-48 in favour of me!" exclaimed the vermillion-haired girl as she continued to press his head further into the dirt.

Okita Sougo came to the park with all intention to put a halt on their usual sparring matches. He no longer found joy in beating her up and vice versa. Sougo had an epiphany that it's high time they drop this brute game of who's stronger because, frankly, he stopped caring about it a long time ago. He wasn't really sure why he keeps showing up here. He was even willing to say she's the better fighter to shut her up if she argues.

Hijikata, and heck, all of Shinsengumi will be damned: the prince of Sadists just drew the white flag.

He arrived at their usual meeting place: some old unpopular park in the outskirts of Kabukicho. The surrounding area is uninhabited but gets visits from thugs and people with dodgy business. During the duo's match schedules, however, this park is deserted. Even those guys are smart enough to avoid situations where they could end up as collateral damage.

"You're late, you dirty tax-robber chihuahua. Thought you chickened out!!!" shouted the girl loud enough to wake up the dead.

This girl and her extravagant vocabulary of insults to call him. It's nothing new but something about the way her voice resonated in the air of silence made his blood come running. Again.

"I'm a busy man, China. Ever heard of working? Well, that's what I was doing. And sometimes we get stuff like over----..."

She was already airbourne and about to draw blood with her purple parasol...but the policeman knew the drill and was easily on the defense. He blocked her advance with his sword still unsheathed.

"...time... and we get salaries, too. Then again, what would you know about that?"

So much for growing up. He still surprises himself how sharp his tongue can be. Teasing her is pure bliss.

"Who told you I wasn't busy? That's fake news. If you're running late then freakin' say so!"

"It's not possible. This is the only time I see you."

This is the only time I see you.

What with the changes with the relatively more peaceful Edo, ironically, the police had been so busy helping in ushering a new era. Not even Kondo-san had time to visit (pester) that violent nee-san. But the thing with Kagura had always been a part of Sougo's "busy" schedule. Today, however, he almost missed it as work gets more demanding.

No more fighting is basically Goodbye, China. For what other excuse would he have for seeing her? He rarely sees her around as it is.

The thought echoed in his head and a moment's hesitation allowed Kagura an opening. Seconds later, he's all sprawled to the ground face down.

"I never thought I'd see this day you're at your dumbest. Hey sadist, ever heard of a phone?"

This is the only time I see you.

Yep. He didn't think this through.