The Homecoming

PROLOGUE
The sudden squeal of a pup echoed through the tall trees on the dusty cliff. Orange Dog jumped to his feet and, with shaking legs, made his way to the hiding spot with a sudden predisposition. He knew how he had to act in these situations, but it was harder than he thought. From what he could see, the small dog had been trapped between the man's leg and the car wheel.
"DON'T MOVE. STOP." The man's voice was laced with poison, leaving Orange Dog trembling. He watched as the man slipped the tube around the puppy's neck. It choked out a small whine before he lead it to the back of the car and threw it in. The rest of the night would be spared for mourning.

TODAY
In the car, Boxer sat on the back seat with the girl. He learned that "Dad" meant the tallest man. He figured "Dad" was also his master and he protected Boxer from whatever dangers the world had to offer. He hesitated before he put his nose out of the window. He wanted this moment to last forever. He felt the cold air rushing onto his face and then he inhaled, the smells of freedom entering his nose. He closed his eyes for a second and felt an odd sadness, the kind that made him want to howl to drown out the feeling. He was freed, yet he was so confined. He would miss being able to run and run, without looking back.

These new people made him happy. The girl was sweet and loving. The boy was kind and was always in the mood for a game. Dad was his shield of protection in times where Boxer couldn't protect himself. He felt security in a way that he had no idea was possible. When they got home, Boxer was allowed into the backyard. He marked everything that smelled dull, sniffed around and rolled in the grass. His family took the collar to him and clipped it around his neck. All of a sudden, a burst of energy flowed through him. He howled and chased his tail. This meant he was staying. There was a big truck in the back, similar to the one that had left him alone as a pup, but it didn't move and it had a couch on the trailer. When it was sunny, that was his favourite place. Boxer would jump onto the bonnet, then climb up to the roof and sunbathe. That was a dog's perfect way to spend an afternoon.

The new place was perfect. Boxer was often fed better than the humans, he had his own couch and he was always allowed to sleep on the bed. The kids came every two weeks. When they left, he would climb onto the girl's bed and sleep with his nose touching her pillow. He could never understand why they left, but he knew for sure all of his Christmas' has come at once when they did come back. This was his life. He had a family, and a place to call his own. He belonged.

Sorry this is such a short chapter. I genuinely didn't know what to write, mental blocks are great. I'll most likely write a chapter about when Boxer went missing, but I might not. Comment if you'd like that chapter ✌🏼🥰