Chapter 7

IT'S SO SHORT, SORRY X

Chapter 7

Jack Fisher sits in the middle of his room twiddling his thumbs trying to think of something other than the painful rumbling and numerous stabbing pains which continue to erupt in his stomach. The hunger is killing him, the pills he thinks, they are making me hungry. Once reaching the weight of when he was two the starvation pains wore off, but now, they are back. An Aide watches from outside deciding how he approaches this mental boy, whilst Jack is arguing with himself in his head. Eat something. No, why would I eat? You are hungry, Jack. No I am not; my mum says I am fine. She says I have eaten enough food. Eat. Eat. Eat. NO. Unexpectedly he stands up and rams his fists against the parallel wall, screaming. The Aide, watching, decides to open the door. “Jack?” He angrily spins round, Jack’s beady eyes pouring into his innocent brown irises. “Mr Fisher, you have a visitor.” His once fury filled eyes, disappear and replace with care and happiness. “Who is visiting me?” The Aide smiles, and decides to reply this time. “Your older brother.”

*

A man sprawls across one of the small, dark chairs wearing a greying t-shirt and large long black leather jacket. His eyes are concealed by dark sunglasses. His trousers are baggy, opaque with chains dangling off them and miscellaneous band names stitched onto thread bare areas of them.  Jack Fisher, comfortable with the disguised man in front of him, carelessly sits down. The anonymous man reaches forward, checks the security guard to make sure he is distracted and then opens the right side of his leather jacket revealing bottles of spirits and cigars. “Wow.” Jack gasps, and then stands up, walks over to the security guard and explains to him that he would like to speak to his brother about private family news. He accepts and leaves them for the time of five minutes. Jack quickly paces over to the window opens it and the mysterious man hands the alcohol over and Jack places them gently on the grass outside. Shuts the window, shakes the man’s hand and leaves. Thanking the guard on the way out.

*

After collecting the bottles and stuffing them in his hoodie he runs back to the Red Ward, being extra careful not to clink the glass when passing an Aide. He approaches Gloria’s room, his body getting happier. He taps on the door, and she opens it. “Yes?” He smiles. “Can I come in?” Lori nods, half smiling as well, as she knows Billie does not like him… at all. Jack not knowing that Armstrong is in the bathroom continues to talk privately. Billie Joe over hears them, silently he tiptoes to the door and leans against it. His right ear against the wood.

 Jack perches on her unmade bed, she sits beside him. “Why are you here?” She asks, curiously. “I want to… well, I have some things that I wanna share with you.” Lori frowns, considering the amount of things he may be talking about. “What have you got?” He opens his hoodie. “I have… booze.” She gasps and looks around. “How did you smuggle that?” He taps his nose as Billie opens the door and leans against the frame.

“You gonna give me some?” His voice slithers into Jack’s ears.

“No, actually.” Billie laughs, intensely.

“Well you are gonna. Ain’t you? Well… unless you want your little shenanigan taken to Mr B.”

“You wouldn’t dare.”

“Oh. I would.”

“Fine, you can have some as well.” Jack says through gritted teeth. “We wait till midnight.”

*

The three of them sit in the small bathroom of Billie’s room, as he has offered to take the blame if they get caught. Five bottles of vodka sit in the middle of them, the strong scent of the liquid swivels up the trio’s noses. Jack and Gloria haven’t smelt this in months. Billie, on the other hand, has, and his hands begin to shake. He sits on them, clueless what else to do. Jack takes the first swig, savouring it on his taste buds before handing the bottle to Gloria. She sips it allowing the overpowering alcohol to hit her throat, before taking another larger gulp. She then, hands it to Billie he hesitates peering down at the transparent liquid. But still he drinks it, the taste so nice and wonderful. Another, it clears his throat, not like water does, differently, like washing all the worry and sadness away. Billie’s starting fresh, but with his mind, foggier. “Hey give us some more!” Jack slurs, reaching out for the bottle, Armstrong snatches it back and holds it to his lips. Draining the bottle, Jack sighs popping another open. Gloria sits there, tempted to pop another and drink it, cautiously. But decides against it, one sip, is one too many. Depression overwhelms her when alcohol is in her system. So, she sits back against the door and watches the two boys attack the vodka, ravenously.

“Loriiii!” Billie sings, slamming the empty bottle on the tiling and crawling over to a sober Gloria. “Yes Billie?” She laughs, quietly. “I… I tell you somethin’.”

“Be quiet. But tell me.”

“I… you are cool.”

“Haha, I already know that.” She remembers that he wouldn’t understand her wit, so she looks at him again. Then, at Jack, who has passed out against the shower cubicle. He’s only drunk half of it. Gloria thought to herself, but with all her mite turned back to Billie Joe.

“So, tell me.” He twirls his fingers round a stand of his hair. “It’s a seeeecret though.” She giggles girlishly. “Go on.” He leans forward close to her ear. “I really like a girl.” Gloria’s heart shatters, like a piece of delicate china. Tears well up in her eyes, but she persists to find out who this girl is. “Who do you like, Billie?” She shakes, trying to stay together. “Gloria.” With that, he closes his eyes and collapses onto the floor, leaving Gloria laughing.