Chapter 16

Chapter 16

His eyes tear apart slightly, he stares up at the light filled ceiling, no colour reflected against the white ceiling. He propped himself up and glanced around the small room, the walls: white, the floor: white, the bed covers: white, his night gown: white, everything: white. “Where am I?” He whispers, pushing the covers downwards and inspecting his body. His bones jutting out like daggers, his skin is covered in dense hair, he runs his fingers along his rib cage, before placing his palm on his chest- feeling it rise and fall, then on his pulse. Closing his eyes, he feels it, but then it’s gone. Vanished. A beep replaces it, a long screeching beep. As the quilt envelopes him, darkness dissolves him.

*

She shivers at Jimmy’s intimidating atmosphere. “What did you do to Billie to make him throw the match?”

“A magician never reveals his secrets.” Suddenly, she’s picked up off the ground.

*

Billie Joe sits in Dr Beaker’s office. “I remember your first meeting with me, in this room; you were so obnoxious and demanding. Now, you don’t even smirk.” Billie doesn’t move, paralysed.

“I have something to tell you.” Dr Beaker begins. “What?” He snaps.

“Your heart is dying.”

*

Gloria opens her eyes after the sedative made her tranquil. She is curled up beneath the sheets, her head resting awkwardly on the pillow. Depression sinks into her mind, the room feeling dark, the voices in her head, “You’re useless”. “No one loves you”. “Die”. They torment her, they won’t leave her, and they dictate her. She screams, screams until she can’t hear them, screams until her throat becomes sore, screams until an Aide opens the door and she sprints past them. Bombarding into Billie’s room she sees no human there. Ignoring her mind, her heart, she runs to the office of Dr Beaker, slamming against the door she tumbles inside. “Your heart is dying.” She hears him explain to a frozen Billie. Her eyes widen, as her hand shuffles to her pulse to hear a weak palpitation. Dr Beaker grimly smiles at Gloria. “Hello sweetie, I was just about to send for you. Your foster mother is here to collect you.” Her eyes stinging with tears which begin to fall down her cheeks, she’s heard this excuse before. “I’m not falling for it.” She demands, “Well I would like you to both be dismissed and go relax in the lounge.” He finishes, seeing that he cannot break through Gloria’s exterior with family.

*

“Billie it’s not true, there isn’t a wall, its reality but the drugs make us see a glass border.” Gloria baffles, but still he stays still, completely scarred. “I saw it, we’re trapped.” He continues. “No.” She sits down beside him, on his bed. “We’re not.”

“We are.” He replies, gradually becoming frustrated. “Close your eyes.” She finally deviates, his eye lids conceal him.

“You’re sitting at home, curled in a ball, a lighter in your hand. It flicks on, the orange, blue, red, flame lights up your eyes. You carefully set the tip on a shred of material and watch it change to ash. It makes you shiver with delight. Makes you smile with anger.”

“STOP.” He screams, his statue like personality disappearing as the red flames rush into his cheeks, his green eyes as green as meadows setting a blaze like an orange fire erupting. “It excites you, makes you feel. Alive.” She finishes. “Alive.”

 He repeats. Adrenalin surging through his body, a kick he’s never felt before. Insanity filling his mind, grabbing her wrist he paces. Paces through the hall ways: slyly, almost, naturally. Sliding into the boy’s toilets and jumping onto the sink top, he unhooks the grate. Then, jumps in, tugging Lori up with him. Their hearts quickly beginning to weaken with every step they take. Their hearts running out of energy. Their lives to end in tragedy. But leaving behind hurricanes of lies.