2 - Battling the Velocidrome

I did not have to wait long to get my first quest. The day after the Hunter's Guild sent back my registration info, a lookout in the village spotted a pack of blue monsters running through the trees past the torches; Velociprey. Quick bird wyverns that hunt in packs. With them so close to the village, they could cause trouble if they decide to push in further. Hunting down a small pack of Velociprey was the perfect kind of quest for a beginner to tackle. I had already gone on a few gathering missions and knew the surrounding areas well enough to navigate through them with ease.

"Alright," the village chief said to me. "I think taking out about seven of them should weaken their numbers enough to drive them back. If things become too dangerous out there-"

"Sir, you don't need to worry about me."

"I'm not worried about you. I'm worried about me. If something happens to you out there, your parents will never let me hear the end of it."

"Heh. Don't worry. I've got it under control. I'll be back before you know it."

I secured my blade to my back and started off through the main gates, beginning my first hunting quest. I had usually just avoided the monster during my gathering missions, but now I had a reason to fight. It took a few hours, but I found my way to the main camp, setting my things down and getting it all in order. I couldn't carry a whole lot, so I had to take a few things with me and leave the rest back at base when I needed it. A few potions, a ration or two, and a couple whetstones. My quest was in the marshlands, and the caves in the area can grow pretty cold, so I grabbed a hot drink.

"Alright. I think this'll do for now."

I set off into the open areas, peeking around rocks and bushes. Velociprey was dangerous in groups, but in small numbers, they're easy to take care of. A quick strong strike is enough to knock them over, and another to finish them off. They are fast, but they usually just attack by jumping, and reading their movements are easy enough. A simple sidestep and counter attack. Finding and killing seven of them would take about a half hour to and hour, and I had all day.

I saw one picking at the mud. A dead Hornentaur sat in the dirt. The blue wyvern with the short red crest ate what it could from the green insect, not paying attention to much else. A small group of Mosswine ate mushroom in a far corner, but they weren't going to pick a fight with it. I was, however. I pulled my blade out and started towards it, approaching it from behind. My bone boots squished the mud down, making it squeak. The Velociprey lifted its head and turned to look at me, only to have its back slashed in a long overhead cut.

It cried out and fell back, sinking slightly into the muck. I followed up with a quick stab into its side. The monster shuttered and remained still, dead. I pulled out my carving knife, taking one of its claws. A set of Velociprey armor didn't sound like a bad upgrade from my bone set. I was wrong about it being functional. It helped protect me, but it did not cover up as much as I'd like. Even though I wasn't in the caves, I was still freezing. There was too much exposed skin. Once I had new armor, I'd never have to think about it again.

I head something behind me. I placed the claw parts in my pouch and turned. Two more Velociprey were closing it, curious about what had happened to their fellow monster. I stood to attention and grabbed my sword, waiting for their move. The first one charged, and I easily stepped out of its way. The other followed behind. I barely avoided it, getting nicked on my arm. I brought my sword around and slashed at its legs in a wide sweep. It fell back at I turned and struck at the other, cutting its crest slightly. It screeched and stumbled back at the first rose to its feet. I went in with a long cut, slashing at its head. It fell to the ground as the second hit me, knocking me to the ground.

"Ugh! Stupid things..."

I was injured slightly, but nothing a potion wouldn't fix. I rose up and swung with at it. My blade hit the Velociprey's long neck, cutting it just enough. It fell and bleed out. Three down.

"Heh. This isn't so bad... God, it's cold..."

The battle trend continued for a while longer. It took a bit, but I managed to take out six of them. I had only used a small part of my resources, and felt like I had everything under control. Soon I'd be done, and the village wouldn't have to worry about any Velociprey attacks for a while. I walked into a large grassy area, confidence flowing through me. I looked around as a gentle breeze blew over me, chilling my bare skin. I gritted my teeth, and heard something moving up a head. I peered down and saw another blue beast, standing with its back to me. I grinned and started off towards it, getting ready to finish the job. That's when I saw it, or rather, it saw me.

It was twice the size of the Velociprey. Long pointed orange claws sat on its legs as a large jagged crest sat on top of its blue head. It stomped up to the smaller beast, then stopped, noticing me. I stood motionless, frozen in place. It was bigger than what I had even expected. A Velocidrome. Leaders of the Velociprey packs. It roared at me as another shorter wyvern moved up beside it.

I turned and ran out of the area, slipping through the walkways that separated the areas. Enough space for a human or small monster to get through, but the bigger beasts had to find their own paths around. Nothing followed me, and that was fine. I hadn't come prepared to fight a Velocidrome, and it wasn't part of the quest requirements.

That was when I stopped. I had weakened their numbers enough, but with a Velocidrome at the front, they would rebuild their pack. It was just if not more dangerous than a group of Velociprey. As long as it was around, the village was in danger. I couldn't just leave with it still out and about. It was my job to protect the village, and I had to do whatever it took to ensures it's safety, even if that meant going far beyond what I was capable of.

I started to turn back, hoping it hadn't ran off. I still had some supplies with me, and there were still my reserves back at camp. My only problem was with skill. I didn't know how it moved, so I couldn't accurately predict its attacks. Still, I had to try, but as I turned around, something hit me from the side. Something big. The Velocidrome has worked its way through the shrubbery to where I was.

"Ah! Damn it!"

It crashed into me and pinned me down. It's sharp claws dug into my skin, drawing blood. It stood on top of my, crushing my armor. My chest piece snapped as bits of the bone parts fell off. My large breasts were squished beneath it's heavy feet, making me wince. It lowered its jaws to take a bite out of me. I reached out and grabbed a handful of mud, throwing it into its eyes. It yelled out and recoiled back, releasing me. I was badly hurt, so I ran back to the camp as fast as I could. The area is totally secure, so I didn't have to worry about it creeping up on me.

"Sheesh... Look at this..."

I cupped my wide chest, groaning. I could still feel it's crushing weight on me, and with my armor destroyed, my breasts did fall out like Mira said. I hugged them close and started to repair it with whatever I could, taking a swig If potion. I struggled with my armor as I struggled to come up with a plan. The only thing I could come up with was to catch the Velocidrome off guard, taking it by surprise. I patched up my armor as best could. Moving was still a little harder, but at least I didn't have to worry about it falling apart. I sharpened my blade, restocked my supplies, and set back out to find it.

It was an hour before I found it again. I took care of two more Velociprey along the way, but I wasn't ready to leave. I had to kill the Velocidrome before I could go back. It looked back at me, but I was already up behind it. I slashed at it, cutting off several scales from its tail. It cried out and stumbled slightly. It's hide was tough, but I was just able to pierce it.

I went in for another strike, cutting off a few more scales. It turned swiftly and lunged, but I was ready for it. I rolled though the mud, avoiding it. I wiped the dirt off my skull helm, rising up to continue the fight. I wasn't going to get far just by attacking it's back. To finish quickly, I had to attack it head on.

"Come on... Let's see what you've got!"

It roared, showing off its wide set of fangs. I saw how large it's mouth was and got an idea, but I needed to yell at me again. I continued to get small hits in while avoiding most of its attacks. I stood in front of it, panting heavily. I was running out of supplies, and night was closing in. No other Velociprey had come in, but it was still tough on its own. I needed one opening, and I soon got it. The Velocidrome opened its mouth and screeched, and I reached, swinging my blade in a wide attack. The sword cut through the skin holding its jaw to its head, slicing it apart and denying it falling back. It flailed around before collapsing into the mud. I was quick to follow, only I wasn't dead. I was hurt, but I wasn't dead. I was victorious.

"Yes... I... did it..."