Chapter 6

**Corinne's POV**

I rubbed my eyes sleepily and rolled over in bed. I had fallen asleep almost immediately after Jeremiah left my room. I looked over at the grandfather clock across the room, and saw that it was now half past eleven at night.

I wondered how long I had been asleep. It had never occurred to me to check the time when I returned from dinner, nor had it occurred to me to check the time before I left to go to dinner. The good thing was that I felt way more refreshed now. My ever so painful headache had faded away, and I was not tired in the least bit.

Feeling the urge to do something other than sit around and think about what my family was doing at home to try and find me or think about what Brad had done to piss me off that day, I got up and decided to more carefully explore my room.

I got out of bed and walked over to the enormous closet Brad had showed me before. As I turned on the light I was once again captivated by the choices of clothes, shoes, and jewelry before me. I had never even imagined someone owning all of this.

I went over to the shoes at the back of the closet, under the counter with the jewelry cases on top. When I had been preparing for dinner before, I had gotten a pretty good look at the clothing choices, but I had only had enough time for a quick glance at the jewelry and shoes. 

First I put back the red heels I had worn for dinner. I had been too tired to put them back carefully before, but now that I was awake, I was going to take the time to put them back where they properly belonged. Everything looked just about brand new, and I felt as if my touch would ruin all the value of the clothing.

But even so, I decided to try on the other shoes. There wasn't much else to do here, that I knew of anyway. Besides, I had always been one to love shopping and trying things on.

First, I took out a pair of black shooties. They were suede with lace on the side, and about a five inch heel. I checked to see if they wer my size before putting them on, and sure enough, they were a size eight. My size. I wondered how Brad, or whoever put these clothes here knew the perfect sizes for everything.

I slipped the shoes on, zipping up the sides, and then held onto the top of the counter for support as I stood up. I walked up and down the length of the closet, getting a feel for the shoes and then stopping in front of a full length mirror to see how they looked. 

I smiled when I saw them on. I was still wearing the black dress from dinner, and even though it was a bit wrinkled now from being slept in, I felt that the shoes helped it look like I had just taken it off it's hanger.

Now that I had gotten a feel for the black shooties, I decided to move on to another pair of shoes. After taking off the shooties and returning them to their original place, I decided that next I would try on a pair of creme colored wedges. I have to say I was a bit surprised to find them here, given the dark theme of all the rest of the clothes that I saw, but nonetheless, I thought I would give them a try.

I was just about to put them on, when I heard a knock at my door. I wondered who it would be this time. I knew it was probably just Brad, but I have to say, I hoped it would be Jeremiah. Brad had not done anything even somewhat kind to me so far, except maybe zipping up my dress. But no, that wasn't so much being kind as being creepy. He had seemed a bit too enthusiastic about it in my opinion, not to mention the fact that he made up a 'rule' that he had to be in the same room as me while I got dressed.

I wasn't dumb! I wasn't going to fall for his fake rule. I saw through the smirk on his face and knew that all he really wanted was to see me getting undressed. It was like he thought it was a game of some sort.