three

friday ;

Katya woke up in her bed, not remembering when she left the couch the night before. All the thoughts from the night before flooded back into her memory, and Katya sat on the edge of her bed for a few moments, just thinking. What if I did just retire? She sighed. The word retire made her feel old, even though she was barely 30. I could write a letter and be a free woman by next week. I've got enough money to support most of my friends on top of myself. As she thought, she got ready for work as she usually did, but something felt different. The promise of being free gave her excitement as she got ready. She thought she might need to feel guilty, she didn't want to hate her job, but it was undeniable the amount of stress it caused her. Katya wondered if she would be bored if she no longer had work, but then thought of Courtney and the pursuit of love, and resolved that she would be quite busy.

She asked her superiors to meet with her, and after her head surgeon cleared her, she decided to take the leap. "I'm retiring!" She told him excitedly. He chuckled.

"I was wondering when this would come. You've done quite well for yourself," he said patting her on the shoulder.

Dr. Johnson was a tall, mild-mannered man, with skin the color of coffee. He was a seasoned professional, nearing his late fifties. He had taught Katya everything she knew about the world of nursing, and she was as grateful as could be. Katya shuddered, thinking of her first years as a nursing student. She had been so afraid to be wrong, she didn't ask or answer questions. Dr. Johnson had given Katya the confidence to become a well educated nurse by teaching her to look inside herself and showing her intelligence and personality to the rest of the world.

Katya shook hands with the Doctor, and he gave her a knowing smile. Years ago, he had told Katya 'if I ever retire, it wasn't my choice.'

After leaving Johnson's office, she checked her schedule. She had only one patient today, a simple checkup. On a clipboard in messy writing was the patient's file. Katya was used to routine checkups for all sorts of things. She scanned the clipboard for the original injury and carried out the appointment as usual.

On her commute home, she decided to stop for coffee at one of her favorite shops. It wasn't Starbucks, but Katya thought it was better. A mom and pop, family owned coffee shop with the best damned cold brew Katya had ever tasted.

When Katya entered the shop she felt light. She had the rest of the day to herself and she smiled to herself as she stood in line. When she got her drink and turned to sit, she was stunned. A curly haired blonde woman wearing a white tee, and a pair of jeans sat at a table alone. Katya could only think of one word to describe her. Beautiful. She had rosy cheeks, freckles and big brown eyes. She sat reading a book which Katya couldn't make out the cover of. Katya thought about her promise to Courtney and walked over to the girl.

"Mind if I sit with you," Katya asked? The girl lit up.

"Go ahead! I haven't got any company!" The two women smiled at each other as Katya sat down.

"I'm Katya by the way."

"Trixie," the girl smiled back at Katya and it took her breath away.

"Good book?" Katya gestured to the thick novel in the girl's hands.

"Oh, I really shouldn't read this in public," Trixie said blushing.

"Erotica?" Katya chuckled. The girl turned bright red.

"Yes," she said timidly. "Lesbian erotica," she whispered, leaning in so Katya could hear her.

"Don't worry, I'm sure I've read it too," she giggled.

"Really," Trixie whispered? "Are you... um," she looked at Katya who smiled.

"Am I a lesbian? Yes, very much so," she replied with a laugh.

The girls talked until the sun started to set. "It's a little late for another coffee, let me by you a drink?" Trixie agreed and they walked down the street to a cozy bar. "Order whatever you want," Katya told her. "It's on me." Trixie thanked her by kissing her on the cheek, leaving a slight pink lip print on Katya's cheek.

The two girls sat in a booth toward the back of the bar and tried their best not to laugh too loudly. The girls had been there for so long they had lost track of time. When the barman finally asked them to leave they hugged goodbyes before flagging down taxis.

"Trixie?" Katya asked softly as the stood on the curb together.

"Mm?"

"I wanna see you again."

"Me too," she said sleepily. She handed Katya her unlocked phone.

"Alright." Katya paused, putting her number into Trixie's phone. "Call me sometime,"she smiled handing the phone back. Katya watched Trixie disappear in the mirror of the cab.