CHAPTER TEN

"Capitán? Capitán, you must wake up!"

Diego opened one eye to see Carlos hovering over him like some mother hen. What the devil was he doing in his bedroom? As the memories of the previous nights activities came flooding into his consciousness he turned his head sharply to see Cherie curled up against his side and sure enough, the puppy was right beside her. No, he would not think about what had happened after leaving the parlor. He would not acknowledge the other man in his bed, beside his woman. Was that Étienne's hand on his. . .

Jumping out of the bed, he turned to Carlos heedless of his very naked state. "What is it?" he growled.

To his credit, Carlos didn't even attempt to look towards the bed. In fact he looked far too preoccupied and agitated, which was not a good sign. "You have to come downstairs, Capitán." Carlos may not have looked toward the bed, but his voice never rose about an urgent whisper.

"Meet me in the front parlor," Diego growled shrugging into a robe thrown across the end of the bed. Feeling a bit snug across the shoulders he looked down at the garment. But of course it was the puppy's. Pulling the thing off again he glanced around the room summarily putting from his mind the clothing strewn about on the floors. Where the hell was his robe?

"Uh, mi Señor Duque, there are guests in the parlor," Carlos stammered.

"Guests?"
It was practically the crack of dawn, who could possibly be paying a visit? His first thought was Claude, Luc or some other member of Cherie's irksome family. Perhaps there was word on the whereabouts of Agathe. Absently he waved his personal secretary away.

"Fine, make sure they have refreshments and let them know I will be down soon." Well he probably wouldn't be going back to bed now. He might as well dress for the day. "And find my valet. I am going to need a shave." And a bath, but a quick wash would have to do for now.

Noticing Carlos still had not moved he lifted and imperial brow. "Was there anything else Carlos?"

"Err, you guests Señor."

"Yes?" This was getting tedious.

"It is the governor and your former wife."

*******

Diego was seething by the time he made his way to the parlor over an hour later. Let them wait, he fumed to himself. Dressing meticulous in full dress uniform complete with saber, he strode into the room every inch a royal duque and captain of the Spanish Armada, a fidgety Carlos at his side. He be damned if he would be cowed by a viscount and his overly pious ex-spouse. Walking over to the fireplace mantle he faced the tiny crowd arrayed before him arching, an imperial brow at every one of the five people assembled in front of him. Governor de Gálvez, his beady eyed secretary, Maria-Teresa and her duena Ana, and slightly frightening looking woman swathed in black from head to toe, remained seated at his entrance.

"Carlos," he drawled, "is there anyone in this room besides my dear wife who outranks me?"

"No, Señor."

Three of the four promptly rose to their feet. Maria-Teresa remained seated and the mystery woman was already standing behind his fomer wife.
"Ah, much better." Diego crossed his ankles while motioning for everyone to return to their seats. "To what do I owe the honor of just an early morning house call?"

He had looked directly at the governor while speaking. The impertinence of the man intruding on his private residence at this hour was astounding. One would think after their little test of wills yesterday, de Gálvez would be far more prudent. At least the man's secretary had the common sense to look frightened. The governor looked – triumphant. Well that just would not do at all.