CHAPTER THREE

Étienne leaned against the wall watching Cherie laugh and dance without a care in the world. Her father's hadn't told her yet, he was sure of it. If they had, she wouldn't be working so hard to make him jealous. How could he be when he finally had both Monsieur Luc and Monsieur Claude's permission for her hand? He was elated. Let the young bucks preen and vie for her attention. She was all his. The contracts had been finalized just this afternoon. All was left was for him to ask.

He was content to watch Cherie have her fun for now. As much as he wanted to crow his good fortune, he wouldn't do that without her consent. Besides, it was amusing to see the young men thinking they had a chance. Rich young men of color swarmed Bellemere in an attempt to woo and win the heiress. Although the plantation would go to one of her older brothers, Cherie's dowry was beyond generous. She was well past the age where most women were married with children. Most of these men thought she would be desperate for an honorable offer.

Fools. There had never been any chance of Cherie becoming a place; her name was not once mentioned in the same sentence as one of the infamous quadroon or octoroon balls. There was much speculation as to why she was unattached. Her beauty was unquestioned; anyone who ever met her knew she had a sweet disposition, if a bit mischievous. Rumors around the countryside were rampant as to why she was still unmarried; everything from challenged chastity to bouts of insanity. Étienne knew the truth.

Before he'd left for his tour of Europe he had formerly stated his intentions to both of Cherie's fathers, after they had spoken with his father of course. Cherie had always been his. Even if she didn't know it yet.

"Are you sure you know what you're getting yourself into, mon ami? My sister is more than a handful I assure you."

Étienne smiled at Antoine's frown. Of course he couldn't see his sister's attraction. Antoine still saw her as a coltish little girl. Antoine didn't see how full and lush her breasts had become, not the swell of her hips that promised a man a delightful ride and many children, the full lips that begged to be kissed. Looking at her made Étienne harder than stone. He had waited a long time to claim her. She had been constantly on his mind throughout his trip to Europe. He had been back for four years, but he had stayed away as much as possible. Cherie needed to grow up, to enjoy her youth. Every second he had been back was spent building his own import/export business and readying a place for his wife both here in the country and in New Orleans. He'd built a home on the plantation that would one day be his, far enough away from the main house for privacy but big enough for lots of children. He'd purchased a sizable townhouse in New Orleans. All that was left to do was to get the woman to the altar.

"I have never been so sure of anything in my life." His body throbbed and hummed as the little imp threw a devious smile in his direction as she sailed off to dance with yet another suitor. All this would end soon enough he had to keep reminding himself.

"You are a brave man, 'Tienne." Antoine slapped him on the back, his attention already straying to the young women present tonight. Beautiful femmes du color, grasping middle class social climbers all mixed and mingled freely, anxious to catch the eye of one of the Bonnet brothers. "I am off in search of far tamer game."

Cherie may have been all smiles on the outside, but inside she was fuming. Étienne hadn't asked her to dance or talk to her at all! She hated it when he ignored her. It might be spoiled and selfish, but she expected Étienne to always ask her to dance or flirt outrageously with her. It may be beyond silly or even foolish, but she had come to think of him as hers. Had he dared to ask someone else before asking her, she might have ripped the girl's hair out.