Chapter 3

"Your majesty, I request you to now permit me to take your daughter home; for we'll have to seek my mother's blessings." He joined his hands towards my father.

"Sure," My father smiles just after the warrior's hand crumbles down to hold my hand again, almost immediately.

I smile confidently at my father.

Prince Arjun, or the Brahman yuvan, as they all call him; now gestures me towards the exit. Amidst which, I pause a second to admire his beautiful features glowing under the mild, early winter sun. And I have a feeling - he paused too.

We climb on the exit porch, while he waves at his brothers to lead.

"Wait!" A voice is heard from behind us just before we step out, "you can't leave that way!"

The voice sounded harsh-full of jealousy and agony, making us turn to see it's owner. Prince Duryodhan.

I turned to my left to look at the one beside me and he shook his head as if the happening was obvious and expected.

"King Drupad, why did you even invite us? To insult us? Or so that we witness a mere Brahman take away your daughter?! What was the whole point?" He questions.

"Exactly! If the Swayamwar was organized for us, Kshatriyas, then why was a Brahman given a chance while he didn't even stand one?!"

"Yes! This guy doesn't even deserve to touch the bow but you're actually ready to give him the fireborn, who was sent exclusively for us?"

Voices raise.
Brows furrow.
Tantrums fall. Turning the joyful atmosphere cloudy. I sure didn't want such an important day of my life to route this way.
Fury, melancholy and pique almost swallowed me before Govind spoke.

"Calm down, Princes. The deserver should be appreciated rather than cornered. Brahmans or Kshatriyas, talent and skills are never a birthmark. They are developed-by hard work, dedication and commitment. And who stands a chance or who doesn't, that can only be decided by the bride. It is a choice of that girl. Princess Draupadi chose this, for it's a Swayamwar and not a competition." He smiled his most convincing smile.

"But this never happened before! Events and occasions take place according to traditions, Dwarikadheesh! And this isn't the tradition!" Another seemingly witty Prince exclaims, "This wedding is definitely driven against the tradition; we need to stop this!"

Before I process what's happening, weapons sneak out of their envelopes and crackle against each other. A sharp blade of a knife is thrown towards us before my almost husband, reflexively stops it.

Standing in front of me protectively, I'm sure he's glaring warnings at the others assembled.

"Don't you even dare!" A loud roar is heard from behind us before his elder brother breaks a pillar, causing the roof of that part to collapse. He carries it and places it before the enemies in a thud, "try now," the brothers smirk.

Silence waves across the room and no one steps a foot ahead before Govind chuckles and speaks again,
"Prince, traditions should be followed but when there is no availability of options, the traditions need to be moulded. There'll be no evolution otherwise." He pauses and observes the Prince, noticing pessimism, he continues, "traditions are not laws*, Prince. They can be changed if the laws permit." He smiles.

The Princes and the Kings look convinced by now, "Dear Kings and Princes, I therefore, kindly request you all to bless the couple and let them move ahead." My father pleads.

"Hey warriors, you guys can leave now!" Govind mischievously indicates so we nod and turn to leave.

...

"Princess, be careful. There seems to be prickly grass here." Paarth cautions.

All his brothers are going ahead of us, in a faster pace. My long robes are getting stuck by the thorns and spines of the bushes repeatedly so we're being slow.

The trees are in their best lush and the birds nesting in them are chirping subtly. Sounds of water falling is being heard from a distance and the trumpets of elephants welcome us in the backdrop; playing with water.

Kind - is what I think nature is; The  trees are hushing mildly, portraying calm.

Paarth gently clutches my hand tighter; perhaps, feeling the same.

Love, my heart swells.

The vibe of this moment, I never want to end. Wish this walk never ends.

Water from a stream gush my feet, stirring me from watching him.

"We need to climb on the log to reach the other side, Princess." He says, pointing towards a narrow wooden log. I nod.

The log is too narrow for both of us to walk along side each other so I let him go first. He holds out his hand for help. I grip. The hastily made bridge creeks and my left foot weighs itself on the edge, making the log tilt; I stumble to my left,
"Paarth!" My thorax involuntarily calls, clinging my body onto his arm.
He instinctively looks at me, startles and pulls me back.

"Of course you know," he chuckles, shaking his head.

It takes me a second to realize what he thought was so obvious but then I know. I just called him Paarth.

I smile at him, "I did."
He grabs my hand and we resume our walk.

...

A mile later, we reach the hut. All his brothers are waiting for us at the front yard, they relax when they see us.

"Jyesht, didn't you tell Mata yet?" Paarth asks his brother.

"No, Arjun. She is meditating. Let her finish, then you tell her." He answers. We nod.

"She should be done by now, Bhratashree. Let me go and check," Prince Nakul disappears into the hut.

"We had already guessed you told her, Bhrata Arjun." Prince Sahadev informs, observing my reactions.

Paarth chuckles, "I didn't have to," he looks at me with a wide grin.
I return the gesture.

"Sure," Prince Bheem smirks.

"We should go!" Prince Nakul returns and exclaims in excitement, before we all chuckle at him.

Paarth gestures me a welcome and we walk into the house.

"Mata, look what Bhrata Arjun has gotten!" Prince Nakul tells the woman with a majestic aura, who's gotten our back to us.

"Nakul's right, Mata. Arjun has-"

Mata Kunti's stern voice interrupts Prince Bheem,
"Bheem, do not fluster. Just share whatever he's gotten among the five of you. That's it."

With that command, my knees go weak and the feeling of unreal hits me.

"Why do you people ask me everything all the time? You all are adults now, and are capable of taking your own decisions. Stop asking me every silly thing. Use your brains also!"
She continues,

...

(A/N) : hey buddies, I'm really happy today so I didn't want to write anything tragic or anything dejecting. And for that, I had to stop it here. Sorry and I love you <3

Please do vote and comment :)