8: Fog

Blyke's POV

I stepped outside my dorm room, plugging my earphones into my ears. I checked my watch. 'It's only 6 in the morning.' I thought to myself as I walked outside the dormitories. 'I'll have at least an hour to jog.' I thought of Isen with irritation. He made me miss my regular afternoon jog the day before, so I was making up for that with a morning jog. 

I breathed in the cool, crisp morning air. There was a little bit of fog, but I didn't really mind as I started jogging. I had been jogging for about twenty minutes when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye.

I turned, trying to see who or what it was, but the fog obstructed my vision. But it seemed like it was moving toward me. 'What could it be?' I thought, shifting into a defensive position. Better to be safe than sorry. Activating my ability, I let an energy beam form in my palm. 

The figure shrouded in the fog stepped closer. I squinted. It was a girl, wearing the Wellston uniform. She had shoulder length dark blue hair and  emerald green eyes. She was on her phone, and she looked up as I stared at her.

"Um," the girl stopped. "Are you going to shoot me with that?" She gestured at my energy beam. She didn't look scared, maybe a little amused.

"Ah," I said, deactivating my ability. "Sorry! I guess I overreacted." I smiled sheepishly. "I had my guard up. I mean, what are you doing here so early?"

The girl replied, "Oh, I was just doing my daily morning jog." 

"Me too!" I said. "But I haven't seen you before... "

The girl nodded. "That's because I live off campus."

I said, "Really? If you don't usually jog here, why are you here today?"

"Well," she frowned. "Actually, I wanted to-" She coughed suddenly into her jacket sleeve. My eyes widened slightly, as her sleeve turned red. 

"A-are you okay?" I asked her as she cleared her throat. "Are you hurt?"

"I'm fine." She sighed. "I was going to say that I wanted to head over to the infirmary." She started walking again. "I'm going to go there now. See you."

I narrowed my eyes, noticing the slight tremble of her legs as she took slow steps. Even though she didn't slow down, I still saw her stumble occasionally. I didn't think she'd be okay if she went alone. "Hey, wait!" I walked up to her, catching up. "I'll go with you. I'm just about done with my jog anyway." It was a lie, but I didn't care.

"Really? Thanks." I felt myself blushing as she gave me a big smile. "You're so nice."

"N-no! It's no biggie!" I grinned back. "Let's go." We walked side by side, with me watching the girl carefully to help her if she stumbled again with my face still slightly red.