-1-

"BERNAL!"
The small twigs and branches that hang lowly from the trees scratch his face but he could care less, one thing he does care about is the success of his escape from that horrible camp. The camp where they tied him down and smacked him with bamboo just for information, soldiers not even caring for the fact he's just a minor. The camp where they promised him lies and let him watch his brothers get caught. The camp where they looked up to the person and not the principle. He never knew why he stayed there for so long but the day he learned the news of not only one but both of his brother's death, he was devastated. Not only that but now he is all alone. With those thoughts, he decided to finally leave and escape the camp knowing he has no other reason to be there. He misses how things were back then, when everything was peaceful but this all had to happen. Causing him to lose his family and end up all alone.
As he slips away from his thoughts, he wiped away the tears that fell from his eyes. He understands he weeps due to the pain he feels but whether it was from his memories or injuries, he did not know. The sound of rushing waters reach his ears once his mind had cleared up and he instantly sprints towards it, finding a wide and clear river with raging rapids farther down. He kneels abruptly and scoops multiple heaps of water with his hands to refresh himself.
"Nasaan na? Naatasan kayong magbantay ng bata pero pumalpak pa rin kayo?"
(Where is he? You were assigned such a simple task yet you failed?)
"Pasensya na po, Kapitan. Sisguraduhin namin na makakabalik kami kasama si Bernal."
(Forgive us, Captain. We'll make sure to return with Bernal)
Hearing the soldiers nearby, he looks around and analyzes for an escape route, but the only way out of this dilemma is crossing the rapids. He didn't get the chance to think twice when a gunshot resounded in the air.
"Kapitan! Natagpuan ko na po siya."
(Captain! We found him)
With speed and determination, Angel rushes uphill and dodges some of the shots the soldiers fired. The adrenaline rush pumping in his heart was enough for him to shiver with each step he took. Once he reached the top, he took a step on the stone path. His foot not grasping the stone that well making him wobble in his steps. As he took the second step, another shot was fired
"AAHH!?"
and this time, the bullet grazed his leg causing him fall off the stone trail and fall into the rapids. The fast current of the water made it difficult for him to swim, so he decided to let himself be dragged away by the water, not really caring where it will take him but he does know that anywhere, except where he currently was, was fine.
By the time he reached calmer waters, it was already sundown and it was difficult to see land. He swims aimlessly until he hit what seemed to be a log. Trusting that the average piece of wood could support his weight, he climbed on and carefully tiptoed across it, the small crack at every step wasn't really reassuring but with one final leap, he reached what was surely land. With the moon completely blocked by the clouds, Angel didn't see that the path he was taking lead to a steep cliff but being oblivious of this fact, he continued with his walk. As he ventured on, he eventually made it to the drop off. With the last step, he lost his footing and backed up as quickly as possible, not quite ready to be buried six feet under. As he calmed his racing heart, he approached the edge once again but this time took a seat dangerously close to the abyss. There he questioned it all.
"Bakit ganon kuya? Bakit naging ganito buhay natin? Hindi naman tayo makasalanan ngunit bakit tayo pinaparusahan ng Diyos? Gusto ko lang malaman kung bakit niyo ako iniwan dito?"
(Why, brother? How come our lives ended up like this? We committed no sin yet we are the ones suffering the consequences and I just wanted to know, why did you leave me here all alone?)
He sat there and just kept talking to his brother until the sun rose again. The blinding rays distracted him from the noisy cracks the ground beneath him were making. Alas, it seems that it's time to reunite with his brothers. The rock he sat on crumbled and fell into the deep abyss that awaited below and along those rocks were Angel. The boy had his eyes closed and was prepared to face his fate, ready to return to the arms of home. A bright light shone before his eyes, blinding, more so than the rays of the rising sun he had witnessed just before.