15. Just how misfit we were

Comincia dall'inizio

"So what I'm thinking," he continued, "is that we should continue investigating that strange woman. If not for us, then for Coden."

"I thought you didn't like Coden."

"Why'd you think that? I love kids."

Troy's face brightened a little, the corners of his lips curled up into a slight smile. "That, or you're just looking for a reason to keep investigating."

"I mean, everything's possible."

"Fine, Layne." He clicked his tongue. "If you can figure out something we can do to further that... Thing, I'll help you."

"Awesome! Layne Marks and Troy Normand – the detectives! We shall solve the mysteries of this sucky place." Layne threw his arms into the air. Cat pointed its ears at him and prepared to escape.

"Ok, just don't get over-excited."

Layne nodded. Both men went silent. Eventually, Cat calmed down and laid down again, still glaring at Layne with suspicion.

A pine cone fell from a nearby tree and dropped just beside Layne. He grabbed and started tossing it up and down. The dog followed it with its eyes. Seeing that, Layne threw the pine cone to its direction. Cat jumped up but didn't chase after it.

"Hey, Troy?" he spoke when it got too hard to stay quiet.

Troy acknowledged him with a nod to his direction.

"Why were you really rejected?"

The man jolted his head at Layne. He was frowning. "What do you mean? Alcoholism."

"But you're not an alcoholic," Layne stated.

"How'd you know that?" Troy's voice turned unnaturally high and he squirmed as if looking for an escape path.

Layne didn't care. He watched him with a stern look, determined to get answers to at least one thing he was interested in for what seemed like ages.

"I've seen real alcoholics on withdraw, Troy."

"So what? You think the RCI cares who's a 'real' alcoholic?"

"You're so defensive over this."

"I just don't want to talk about it, Layne." Troy grabbed a pine cone off the ground and threw it away with enough force to make the leaves and spikes scatter around where it landed. "I keep forgetting how much of an asshole you get when you want something."

"So?"

Troy didn't answer. Didn't even look at him.

"Troy," Layne prompted.

"I drove while drunk and collided with another car, ok?" Troy clenched his fists.

Layne lowered his eyes. "Did anyone get hurt?"

"My wife. She passed away."

It wasn't worth it. Layne swallowed hard – it wasn't the first time his never-ending curiosity has herded him into something like that. Yet, he'd never learn. He even knew that he wouldn't learn this time, either.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"She was pregnant. With our daughter."

At that point, Layne didn't find the strength to reply. He cursed himself in his head and fake-promised to get better at being a friend.

For the first time, he was glad Troy stopped talking to him. They sat together, quiet, until time lightened the tension between them. Once enough passed, it almost felt like nothing happened – or that's how Layne wanted it to be. He wondered how Troy felt about it.