Forever and a Day [Part 2/2]

Forever and a Day

This could not be happening. I cannot believe that after all these years he was actually keeping the truth away from me. I thought that I was his closest friend and I dare say his best friend. We shared everything from laughter to sadness to even our deepest secrets. It really burns and hurt my inmost soul when I unearthed his terrible secret.

It all started two years ago, in Northern Star High School. I was a young, 13 year old girl in grade 8 then. During the month of February, there was a new student who transferred to my school. His name was Bennette and he was placed in my class. As usual, I’m always thrilled when meeting a new friend.

After befriending him, I found out that he lived nearby my house. From then on, we would walked back home together after school. During the weekends, we would sometimes go out together to have lunch or maybe a movie we have been waiting to catch. We would also go to the library or some quiet and peaceful place to study together after school hours.

I knew I had grown fond of him. Yet, everything is just too early, especially for my age.

After a year, we began to know each other very much. He was an ordinary guy, I wouldn’t say he was as good-looking like any celebrities, yet he was cheerful that his wittiness never failed to drive me into roar of laughter.

However, I had noticed that he was clumsy all the time. He often trips over for no reason and falls to the ground all of a sudden while walking. It had really worried me a little at first, but then he just brushed it off and said it was no big deal.

Well, it was, until one Sunday afternoon, in a local bookstore. As we were both getting revision books and were walking down to the lower floor to pay for the books, he lost his balance and fell. I heard someone screaming, but somehow I felt I was the one who really screamed. An elderly lady had phoned for help, and was trying comfort me while waiting for the ambulance to arrive.

After a few minutes, the ambulance finally arrived. The paramedics slowly and carefully placed Bennette onto a stretcher and transferred him into the ambulance to the nearest hospital. I was then asked to follow. Soon after, when we arrived at the hospital, the doctor hurried and examined Bennette.  His parents had already been informed, and were already rushing their way to the hospital.

It seemed that Bennette was in a critical condition as his head had got hit and he was bleeding, internally.  After long hours of surgery, he was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.  The doctor had given his parents the permission to stay with him throughout the night. I went home later after the visiting hour was over.

Time flies and it has already been one and a half year since I met Bennette. He was still staying in the hospital. Bennette’s parents had told me that he was suffering from anemia and that, I should not be worried but that raised doubts in me. I visited him every day after the school finished and each time I went to visit him, his look, appearance, and attitude gradually changed. He had become a hot tempered and aggressive person.  Even so, whenever he was scolding me or anyone, I could see his tears rolling down his cheeks. Sometime later, he seemed to have difficulty in walking, speaking, and even swallowing. Later on, Bennette’s parents had asked me not to come and visit him anymore because he does not want to see or speak to anyone. It was heartbreaking but I was sure he had his own reason.

Since then, I did not pay a single visit to Bennette in the hospital. We did not even keep in touch. Two years later, when I was studying in school, Bennette’s parents suddenly called me to meet them in the school’s office. Somehow when I heard about this, I had a feeling that my heart was being torn apart. I just felt like crying even though I did not know what was happening.

In the school’s office, both Bennette’s parents were sitting on the couch. It took them some time before Bennette’s father finally spoke, ‘I’m really sorry for not telling you the truth. It’s been hard for all of us.” He then turned to his wife. Already in tears, she said, ‘Bennette isn’t suffering from the anemia disease.’  I was puzzled but I did not say a word. She then continued, ‘He has been suffering from the Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) disease. If you have not heard of this disease before, it is a disease which weakens and eventually destroys the components of the nervous system which connects the brain with the skeletal muscles. This disease is fatal and causes a person to become increasingly disabled as time passes by. We knew something was wrong as he kept losing his balance and falling but he said it was nothing and that he was really fine and asked us not to worry until the day the accident happened.’

I was dumbstruck. ‘Then why didn’t he tell me about this? I’m his friend.’ His father then replied that Bennette didn’t want me to worry about his disease. So I asked, ‘How is he doing now?’

‘He had passed away two days ago,’ his father answered.

I closed my eyes and yet the stream of uncontrollable tears flowed out, rolling down my cheeks.  I felt overwhelming sorrow at that news.

The following day, given permission, I took a half day off from school to visit Bennette’s grave. Upon arrival, his parents were there to greet me.  His mother gave me a letter and said, ‘I believe he wants me to pass this to you. I unsealed the letter and read its content.

            By the time you read this, I’ve probably gone to a better place.  My parents had probably informed you that I had ALS disease and I’m really sorry that I hid it from you.  Even so, my life had been blessed because you had been my good friend since the day we met and I treasured every moment we had.  Please, do not let this get to you. You should move on and live your life to the fullest. And I promise, I will always be by your side forever and a day.

Your best friend

Bennette