"Hi Kat." He smiles at her.

"Don't smile at her, ese (bro). Unless you're trying to lose your teeth."

"It's okay José he's just kidding." Kat inserts flicking my chest.

No I'm not...

"I'm not fittin to play games with my life."  José responds raising his hands on surrender.

"Remember that." I say to him as we share a look. We both knew what I was talking about. He raises an eyebrow before nodding at me.

"Uh... I'm gonna finish cleaning up, I'll meet you outside in 20." Kat says to me and I squeeze her to me.

"Okay, I'm parked near the football field." She kisses my shoulder discreetly before I let her go.

I turn to José, "Let's go. ¿Dónde está tu familia? (Where's your family?)"

"By the bleachers, they want photos."

We head to his family for pictures dragging my sister and mom along before they leave to go outside.

When all my class is on the lawn we throw our caps in the air screaming.

Before I know it most everyone has headed home and Kat is ready to go, waiting for me by my car.

"I'm nervous." She says playing with the elastics on her wrist.

"About?" I ask pulling up in front of the two family house I lived in.

My family and I lived in the first apartment and our landlord on the top second floor with her daughter and grandchild.

The street was crowded full of cars from my relatives and those of friends like José.

"About meeting your mom."

"Kat, you've meet my mom before." I say confused.

"Yeah when we were friends and it was in passing like 'Hi. Bye.' But what if we have an actual conversation and she doesn't like me. What if She didn't approve of us."

I smile at her worry, "You'll be fine, don't worry, my mom probably likes you more than she does me."

"Okay, let's go." She laughs and replys hesitantly.

The door to my house is open and people are scattered both inside and out talking and drinking.

"Kat!" I hear my sister yell for her.

She turns to me.

"Go, I'll find you later."

I watch her walk away knowing out would be hours before we got a minute alone.

*******

"Hey Stephanie, what's up?" I turn to enter the kitchen.

"Hey sorry to take you away from Santi but I need help."

"Girl your good, someone was going to drag him away and he'd feel bad if I was by myself so you're kinda helping me. What do you need?"

She pulls me to the conner near the fridge. "José he's here."

"Steph y'all are practically cousins and he graduated too, of course he's here."i laugh.

"Kat, you know our situation! And cousins?! Not helping." She responds smacking my arm.

"Lol sorry definitely not cousins." I says smiling slyly and rubbing my arm.

"Okay so y'all kissed, he asked you out. You said no. Now its awkward between you guys." I say.