Chapter 4 That's the Way

John woke up to the sound of John Paul moaning. He had a terrible hangover, no doubt. John rubbed his eys and saw that Warren was still driving. It was now bright outside, showing Warren's features better. From what John could see, Warren had a big mole on the side of his nose and it even looked as though he had a bit of an underbite. He was not good looking whatsoever. John grimaced and looked around to see if his other bandmates were awake. Robert was looking at his reflection in the small mirror he had brought.  Jimmy, beside John, was writing in a small journal. 
        "Morning, all," John said with a yawn. The others replied warmly-- except for John Paul, that is. He only groaned. "Are we going for some breakfast?" John asked. He looked outside to see that they had finally found civilization. Small businesses lined the road that they drove on. 
        "Yeah, I'm starving," Jimmy spoke up. He closed his journal and put it in a bag in the back of the van.
        "Alright," said Warren. He pulled into a parking lot and parked. John squinted out at the restaurant that they had stopped at. It was a cozy looking diner that wouldn't be found in Minnesota. They all stumbled out of the van and rubbed their sore bottoms. 

        The five of them sat around in a booth, eating their breakfasts. John had ordered a big one with pancakes and sausages, Jimmy ordered waffles, Robert a simple boiled egg, and John Paul some scrambled eggs and bacon. Warren had his own breakfast of a parfait, but John didn't pay much attention to him. He was still upset that he was even with them.
        "I haven't slept with a woman in over a year," Warren was claiming. John rolled his eyes at this and pretended not to listen. The others, however, were astonished. 
        "You poor thing!" Robert exclaimed. The others hummed in sympathy. John's mind wandered away as he looked around the diner. He spotted some lonely elderly people, sipping coffees and talking to themselves. Maybe I could find better company in them, John thought to himself. Perhaps it would be better if he started to warm up to Warren. They would be with him for quite a while, after all. Looking back at Warren, however, was very hard for John to do. 
        "So, Warren," John interrupted whatever Jimmy was saying. Warren cast his light green eyes on John in a friendly manner. John cleared his throat shyly. "Where are you from?"
        "Colorado. But I was up north visiting my friend Malcolm. He just got married to a chick named Lita. Pretty but so young." 
        John wasn't sure how to respond to Warren's story so he simply smiled politely and took a bite out of his pancakes. 
        "You're lucky you found us," John said with a mouthful of pancakes. Warren smiled nervously and nodded. 
        "You know what we should do?" Robert said before the tension became too much. Jimmy played along.
        "What, Robert?" 
        Robert wiped his lips with his napkin and brushed his long hair from his forehead. "We should go sightseeing. See what's around. Wouldn't that be nice? Especially after sitting in the car for so long." 
        "That sounds like a very good idea," Jimmy replied heartily. 

        "Where are we?" John Paul asked later that day. They had been walking around a little town for a while and seemed to have gotten lost. 
        "I swear," Warren said next to Jimmy, "that we need to turn left at this bike shop. I remember walking past it before." 
        "I don't!" John huffed, thinking maybe it was only to disagree with Warren that he was saying this. 
        "I think we should split up," Robert said. "I mean it can't be too hard to find our way back. This place can't be any bigger than downtown Winona."
        "But just as confusing," John Paul mumbled. 
        "How are we going to find each other again?Jimmy asked, his hands on his hips. "That's a very silly plan, Robert." 
        "We'll have a special call for when we find the van. A loud bird call like this-" he made an obnoxious bird call that made everyone else wince. They all hesitantly agreed. "Alright," Robert said, looking around at each of his companions. "I'll go with Jimmy and Warren go with John." John's heart sank and he didn't bother to hide his look of disappointment. 
        "Who will I go with?" John Paul spoke up. He frowned, always feeling left out. Robert rubbed his chin in thought.
        "You can come with me and Jim, Jonesy, dear. Okay?"
        "Okay."
        "Okay so Jimmy, Jonesy, and I will go this way, and John and Warren-- you go that way past the bike shop, okay?" 
        "Okay," Warren said. John only muttered in agreement. They began to split up and it was only John and Warren. They walked in silence, looking around at the various buildings. They looked incredibly old and useless. It felt almost like a ghost town except for the occasional person to walk by. Warren broke the silence.
        "Why don't you like me?" This made John stop and look at Warren. Anger began to fill him but he kept back his nasty words. He clenched his fists and tried to speak calmly.
        "You're not meant to be here," John said. Warren licked his lips and nodded in understandment.
        "I'm sorry I invaded your roadtrip. But I won't be here for long, I promise. Just a day or two and you'll be rid of me." 
        John suddenly felt a bit sorry for Warren but his fists stayed clenched. What was he doing? He was never this way. In the past he had always been so open and welcoming to people. Slowly, his fists unclenched at his sides.
        "I-I'm sorry," was all he said. They continued to walk without a word. 
        "I'm not a threat," Warren said. After this, they were silent again. It was a bit awkward, though it seemed they had worked it out. John decided to break the ice.
        "So you haven't been laid in over two years?"
        Warren chuckled at this and ran his fingers through his hair. "Over just one year, thankfully." They both laughed. 
        "I would probably go insane," John said.
        "Oh yeah? And where do you get yours when you need it?" 
        "Where I need it." 
        "You'll have to tell me your secret."
        "No secret, really." Just grow a kick ass mustache and all the girls come running." John smoothed the mustache that hugged his upper lip. Lip blanket, he called it, but only to himself. Warren laughed and felt his hairless lip. 
        "I'll try that."
        The two walked beside a building they didn't recognize. It had flashing lights inside and booming music, even from outside. 
        "Strange," Warren said. "What is this place?" They both knew what it was and smiled at each other. "Shall we find out?" 
        "Oh, of course!" John said excitedly. The two men walked into the crazy club without thinking of the other men in their party, who had found the van and were calling out for them.