Chapter 2 Going to California

John opened a beer as he looked with satisfaction at his suitcase. Finally, he was all packed. Just hours before, the four had decided just where they would go. The beaches of California! They figured a roadtrip would do them good, so instead of buying plane tickets, Jimmy made sure there was enough gas in the tank of their VW bus. Each member was now packing his things for the long trip.
        "Driving there should take about three days," Jimmy had said, biting his lip in thought and looking down at a map of the US. "That is, if we drive straight there with no distractions besides having to sleep." Without saying a word, they all new this would probably not be the case. Each of them had a naughty streak in themselves that would surely dely the trip some.
        "Don't worry," Jonesy piped up. "We don't want anything but some damn beach."  

Now, as John sat alone in his room, he wondered if they really would just plow through the states. He wouldn't mind seeing the Grand Canyon-- if it was on the way. Robert came into John's room, breathless. He carried two large suitcases that looked as though they were completely stuffed. He dropped the heavy things on the floor and let out a sigh of relief. 
        "What have you got in there, Robert?" John asked, a bit concerned. Robert smiled, proud of himself. 
        "It's all my stuff for the trip." 
        John couldn't help but look puzzled. He pointed to his own suitcase. "That's my stuff." Robert examined it and the smile melted from his face. 
        "Well, John dear, how do you expect to be prepared for anything with such a small suitcase?" Robert simply gave a matter-of-factly expression and, picking up his suitcases, left the room. John scratched the stubble on his chin. He began to wonder briefly if he should pack larger as well.
        Surely if I would ever need something that I don't already have, John thought to himself, I will be able to ask Robert if he has it in his own packings. The idea seemed alright so young John again became content with his small suitcase. He gulped some more beer and walked out of his room to find John Paul. His friend was in his own room, looking at his empty suitcase in concern. John knocked on the frame of the door before entering.
        "Hello there, John Paul. You haven't packed yet?" John plopped on John Paul's bed, almost making the suitcase fall off. John Paul shook his head and continued to stare at the suitcase.
        "Why," John said, beginning to worry. "What's the matter? Lost?" John Paul finally looked over at John and sighed.
        "I don't want to go on this trip," he replied simply. John was shocked. Surely he didn't mean that! John Paul wanted just as much as the others to get out of this terrible weather. Now was hardly the time to be mopey.
        "And why is that?" John asked, his brow furrowing. John Paul walked over to the bed and sat beside John. He twiddled his thumbs nervously, looking up at the ceiling.
        "I-I'm scared." John was taken aback by his friends words. He had never thought of John Paul as someone who would ever be afraid of anything at all. He asked his friend what the reason for his fears was.
        "I'm afraid that I will get terribly homesick," John Paul confesssed. "I don't want to be so far away." John quickly wrapped his arm around John Paul's shoulders. His voice was full of careful sympathy when he spoke.
        "Why, Jonesy! You have nothing to worry about. I'll be there. And so will Robert and Jimmy. And if you feel at all homesick, just come to me and I will be sure to find a way to make you feel at home, alright?" John Paul sniffled and nodded. 
        "Thank you Bonzo. You're a good friend." He looked up at John and gave a small smile, which spread onto John's face as well.

        The snowstorm outside raged on. John looked out the window at the fat flakes falling from the white clouds. He shivered and thanked the heavens that in just a short while now, the four of them were going to escape this freezing hell. First, however, he would have to say goodbye to a few neighbors. John bundled up in his plaid jacket and furry hat. 
        When he stepped outside, the frozen wind hit John's face and instantly made his nose run. He rubbed his poor nose and walked down the road to his friend Ringo's house. It wasn't too far from where John lived with his friends, so he always made sure to visit. Ringo's house was very small, for he lived alone with his wife Maureen. It wasn't much for gatherings but it was very charming.
        When John arrived, Ringo was in the driveway, shovelling. The snow had already built up into a big mound on Ringo's driveway. John walked up to Ringo and greeted him before he was noticed by the busy Ringo.
        "Hello, Ringo! Nasty weather isn't it?" This made Ringo look up from his work. A smile instantly spread across his face, replacing the frown that his work had given him.
        "Why, hello, John!" Ringo called. He strugged through the high snow to where John stood at the end of his driveway. He had his own nose running like a faucet, which he quickly wiped away with his mitten. 
        "What brings you here during such a storm?" Ringo asked. John told Ringo about his friend's plans for a roadtrip to California. "That sounds like fun," Ringo said when John was done talking. "Take me with you, please!" 
        John laughed. "You'd be a nice addition. Would Maureen want to go? Perhaps we could all go!" Ringo, however, shook his head. 
        "No, I have to take care of the house. You see how crazy the driveway gets. No, I'll have to stay in Minnesota. Thanks though, John. I hope you and the lads have a lot of fun."
        "Maybe during the summer, eh?" John said hopefully. He felt dreadful that Ringo had to stay in such terrible weather. He thought of his other neighbors and chuckled at the thought of everyone going on the trip to California. 
        "Yes, that would be lovely. We'll have to decide when the time comes, eh?" 
        John nodded politely and the two said their goodbyes. Ringo struggled to where he had ended his work as John walked to the next house. Though he was excited to get away from this terrible weather, John was going to miss everyone here. He wouldn't feel the anxiety that John Paul felt, that was for sure. However, John was sure that a little bit of homesickness would creep into his thoughts as they drove along the country.