e l e v e n : s p a r k

XX

Anne was jolted from a deep and thoughtful reverie being pursued from the comfy layer of sheets on her bed when the loud slam of a door, followed by hasty footsteps, resonated from downstairs

"Bec! Lettie! Charles! Everyone! Come! Come!" Barnum's excited voice boomed out.

Attempting to push the troubling thoughts and the swirl of whimsical doubts from her mind, Anne straightened up and smoothed down her plaid skirt before exiting her room and following the others downstairs.

"What is it this time, Barnum?" Lettie rolled her eyes sarcastically.

"I have exciting news to tell you all!" he exclaimed as he beckoned for everyone to gather around him. "As you know, Phillip and I went out to attend a luxurious banquet with some upper-class citizens of New York. Well, you'll never guess who was there..."

"Stop toying with us, Barnum, and just tell us already!" Charles piped up.

"Okay, okay," Barnum waved his hands around. "But you're never gonna believe this! Jenny Lind! Jenny Lind was there!"

As a buzz of anticipation and excitement rippled through the group, Anne nudged Lettie and whispered confusedly, "Whose Jenny Lind?"

Lettie raised her eyebrows. "Only the greatest, most famous singer of all time. I can't believe you haven't heard of her. Her voice is the most-talked about topic in Europe."

"Oh."

"Anyway," Barnum cleared his throat and continued, "She's here to visit America and scout out possible places to tour through next year. However, when I had the pleasure of introducing myself, I told her that she wouldn't have to wait until next year to book such an event."

"Wait...you did?" Phillip's eyes widened as he turned to face Barnum. "Why would you say that?"

"Because I'm going to pay her to perform in the biggest auditorium, with the best orchestra, in front of the highest aristocracy in New York!" he proclaimed. "If she works alongside us, can you imagine, just for a moment, how much money we'd make?"

"What's money got to do with any of this?" Phillip demanded.

Barnum let out a heavy sigh as he glanced over at his junior apprentice. "Look, Phillip, it isn't just about the money, okay? The hierarchy here in this city refuse to see our show because they consider it to be a vulgar entertainment. At least, when Jenny Lind gives them a performance they will never forget, they may rethink their decision to visit the arena. I didn't create this act just to please the lowly. I created it to impress the wealthy. That's all. That's all I want. Just some recognition for all the hard work that I've had to do to get this far."

For a moment, no one responded. Then, Phillip placed a reassuring hand on Barnum's shoulder. "It's your show, Barnum. Do what you must."

As a round of applause and a roll of cheers circled around, Anne caught a glimpse of movement out of the corner of her eye. Tilting her head back, she watched disbelievingly as Bec, his head bowed and his hands hidden deep within his pockets, left the room on silent feet.