Preface

┍━━━━ ━━━━

ELEMENTALIST:
Preface

┕━━━━ ━━━━

                         THE FOUR ADULTS STOOD AT the end of a deserted road, their eyes locked on the destination ahead

THE FOUR ADULTS STOOD AT the end of a deserted road, their eyes locked on the destination ahead. Octavia Washington, with her dark hair curled to perfection and pinned back, her black dress hugging her body just right, and her red painted fingernails digging into her palms, stared with glossy eyes and a grimace. "I ruined our lives," she whispered, her chin held high. Despite the sadness radiating off of her, she held her posture straight and her head high. On her right side, Luna Reed reached for her hand. The blonde stood there in tight, black jeans, her denim jacket covering her arms, her blonde hair tied into a loose ponytail. Her hazel eyes not once drifted from the town two hours away, yet her fingers wrapped around Octavia's in an assuring way.

Leo Ward stood at her left, towering over her about five inches. He wore denim jeans and a grey t shirt, a blue baseball cap on his head. His jaw was tense, his own dark eyes glassed over from unshed tears. His chest puffed out as he tried to hold himself together, he too reaching for Octavia's hand. Ronan was the first to look away. His shaggy, dark hair fell into his eyes as he looked across the blonde at the small brunette. He wore loose jeans and a nice, colorful shirt, his hands hidden within his pockets. "You didn't ruin mine," he commented, his voice soft. Octavia looked at the six foot tall boy, her dark painted lips quirking into a grateful smile. "Mine either," Luna spoke up, her pale pink lips cracking a smile. Leo looked down at the girl beside him, noticing her eyes already on him. "Mine either."

                         Their eyes all refocused on the town ahead, silence falling over the group. Luna took the first step, her blonde hair blowing through the gentle breeze. Her hazel eyes lightened beneath the sunlight, her fair skin glistening. Octavia joined her, her dress swishing around her knees. Her dark curls flittered in the breeze, her lips quirked into the widest smiles. "Let's go," the blonde spoke, dropping her hard persona only for the slightest, squaring her shoulders. Her dirty converse scraped against the asphalt as she walked, Octavia following close behind in her dark booties. Leo glanced over at Ronan, the curly haired boy staring after the two girls. His hands shook at his sides, fingers clenched into fists.

"It's okay to be anxious," the caramel skinned boy spoke, his palm coming into contact with the other boy's shoulder. "I get anxious, too." Ronan scoffed softly, his dark eyes glaring at the pebbles at his feet. "I know I'm not as bad as you. I know you struggle with it, more than anyone I know, but you're also the strongest person I know." Their eyes clashed, smiles on both their lips. "You can do this, man. I believe in you— we believe in you." Octavia and Luna spun around, both staring at the two males who had failed to follow. "We're so close to freedom!" Octavia cheered, her dazzling teeth on full display by her radiant smile. "Come on, guys! This is where magic begins!"