Part 1

"I just...I thought she wasn't gone..." I sighed, turning the rock over in my hand. Pip and I had written on it back in the summer to mark our first day living with Nana and Poppa.

"Me too," Makayla Smith, my best friend, Sophie's, younger sister, sighed. Pip was her best friend, and I could barely stand the idea that I lost my sister. I couldn't imagine losing Sophie, but that was what this was like to Makayla.

"Me three," Carter Turner, Jack Turner's younger brother and the boy who had a crush on Pip, added.

"Guys, I know this is hard, but Pip would want us to get back up and have fun again, even without her," Sophie tried to enlighten us.

"Actually, Pip would just scream at us all because we weren't playing with her," Matt Sanders, another of my close friends, argued humorously. I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to say anything, but he was pretty much right...

"What...like...if Pip was a ghost or something?" Jack teased.

"Ghosts aren't real, idiots!" Makayla snapped.

"Are too, my uncle's a ghost hunter...but we haven't seen him in, like...eight years," Matt scratched his neck, realizing what he was saying.

"No one wants to hear your sob story, Matt!" Makayla snapped at him once again, but he merely rolled his eyes at this.

"Brat!" Barked Jack.

"Noodle-arms!" Retorted Makayla. Jack scowled at her. If I didn't act now, they'd rip each other to shreds. I set the rock down and stomped over to them.

"Break it up, toddlers!" I hissed, prying myself in between them.

"I think ghosts are fake, or Pip would be one by now," Carter shared his opinion on the subject.

"Whatever," Matt rolled his eyes once again, something he did often and should have gotten a medal for.

Out of no where, Sophie screamed bloody murder, and we turned to see what had happened. She had gravitated away from the group, and was now standing like a stick in front of...nothing.

"What happened?" I asked frantically, running over to her.

"Spider!" She heaved, pointing at the ground.

Jack violently stomped on it. "There!" He sneered. "No more spider!"

Sophie huffed with a cross of her arms, quite flustered that she had been told off. "Ugh, why are you such a germaphobe?!" Makayla groaned, twirling her hair around her finger. For being so young, Makayla was quite the almighty brat.

"Why are you such a sass?!" Sophie argued. The two began to stick their tongues out at each other. I was annoyed, I didn't want to watch their sister brawling. In a way, it made me sad. Pip and I used to bicker and argue like this all the time. Seeing Sophie and Makayla do it reminded me that no matter how much I thought I hated it, I would never get to do it again.

"I think..." Matt began. "We should summon Pip's ghost," he said, all-too-seriously.

"Whatever, if it proves to you that ghosts aren't real, let's go," Jack shrugged. I had to agree with him. Knowing Matt, who was like my brother, if we didn't try his idea, he wouldn't let it go. I knew better than to think that ghosts were real, but something in my head slightly hoped this would work. I just...wanted to see my little sister again, at least just one more time.

———
How did you guys like the first chapter? Comment and tell me what you thought! Vote if you liked it! Share with your friends if you think it's good enough for that! Thanks a million!