[34] Passive Aggressive Appearances

Start from the beginning

"I'm glad," I told him genuinely. He feigned a quick smirk at me while letting go of a sigh and I knew just how he was feeling...to love someone so much it was draining. But his presence was different now that everything was off his chest. And I was left feeling guilty for keeping things from him.

"So I'm going to let you go to sleep since you have school tomorrow," he decided before standing up. He began walking towards the doorway. "I don't know if you're still not a morning person, but if you want, we can get breakfast and I can drop you off—"

"Ollie," I named, making him frown because I was interrupting an invitation for potentially free food. I had to tell him at least something. I didn't want him starting a new life and heading off to war without knowing something as important as what I knew. "Andrew's alive."

Now, his frown changed. It feigned anger briefly before utter confusion and he shifted positions in order to try to wrap his head around what I was saying. I was just as confused because I thought revealing something to him would make me feel better, but it didn't.

"He's probably trying to sneak in downstairs because I told him not to come home for a while, but he's alive," I added. Oliver still gave me a perplexed look before reluctantly turning his shoulders to leave.

***

The next morning, I trotted downstairs to see Oliver waiting for me. For a second, I thought that him visiting was a dream, but I was glad it was real.

"Andrew didn't come home last night, but I did talk to Cassandra before she left for work and she filled me in," he greeted. I paused slightly because I didn't know what exactly Cassandra told him. "I'm glad Andrew left and laid low from whoever targeted your dad, I just wish he would've reached out to me."

"He barely reached out to me until I forced him," I snickered, hoping Cassandra only told him about Andrew coming back and nothing about this werewolf thing or our mom or even Ryder if that was something she could tell.

"Well I hope I get a chance to see him before I leave town," Oliver wished. "Maybe he'll be around the school and I can drop you off?"

"Sure..." I muttered. Oliver then invited me to go get breakfast, and because it was distanced from the school and involved food, I obliged. The first thing we talked about was where the mustang was and how I got the blue Shelby. I had to explain to him that I destroyed Andrew's car—he gave me the same reaction that Andrew had. When I said the blue one was a gift, he frowned slightly and mentioned that at least it was a fair trade to make up for the original destroyed mustang...but then I caught myself mentioning that Ryder got it fixed for Andrew. It was the only time I mentioned his name and I think Oliver caught on the look I made once I did it.

Thankfully, I was able to glance down at my phone and notice that it was the exact time the first bell rang, which didn't give him enough time to ask about Ryder. Oliver rushed me right over to the school and he pulled up to the parking lot right as a familiar person was running purposely late as usual.

"I'll see you after school!" Oliver yelled through the window as I fast-walked towards the school. I turned to him while still walking backwards to near the front doors.

"See you then! And do not go through stuff in my room," I urged because I knew if he sat there all day and got bored, that's what would happen. When I turned around, I saw the other tardy student holding open the door for me. I paused and nearly tripped over my feet while my eyes locked in with Ryder's.

"Thank you," I told him, blushing and looking down as if I had something to feel guilty over.

"Anytime," he returned and I stepped through the threshold. I glanced over my shoulder as I pulled up the other strap on my backpack and noticed Ryder looking through the door after Oliver's car.