[20] Borderline, Finish Line

To my surprise, we walked all the way to the meeting. I was even more surprised because just like before, Ryder acted as though there was nothing wrong between us. His feigned smiles and conversation was completely believable and even though I knew he could hear at least one of my speculations telepathically, he didn't respond. He just kept holding my hand as we walked along the long road. Eventually, the same feeling I had when I went to the Obsidian house happened when we crossed some sort of magical divider set up near the end of our journey in a direction past Tyriette I had never been. None of my senses sharpened, but I could feel something wash over me as if uplifting.

"The Donahue coven enchanted the border from any dark magic," Ryder informed, looking down at me in amusement as I registered the feeling. I didn't verbally reply and Ryder looked straight ahead. "I always used to like crossing it because all the bad within me is just dissolved into nothing. It was better than any high I've ever had...but it just doesn't affect me anymore. It hasn't for years."

"Why? Because I took the big bad wolf out of you?" I joked. He stopped walking and looked down at me, and threatened to drop the hold on my hand.

"No matter how much I love you, there will always be an evil part to me, Ashlynn," he huffed and I was starting to see his breath mix with the autumn air. "Every werewolf possesses a fraction of demon blood. Some more than others but it's still there. You might not have to worry about it or even see it in me, but everyone else does. When I became a True Alpha, it just made me immune to suppressing it."

"You talk about yourself as if you're some tyrant with no sense of morality or compassion," I muttered and he bowed his head while I grabbed his hand with both of mine. "You think magic not working on you is because it can't suppress 'True Alpha evil,' but have you ever thought that maybe being True Alpha means you're less evil than us all and there's nothing to suppress?"

He frowned and lifted his head because he never thought of that option. He suddenly forced a sad smile and reached a hand up to my cheek.

"I keep trying not to think about whatever I am because the Donahues have the book that will tell me hopefully everything I need to know," he replied, searching my eyes. "But every time you say something like that, it makes me not care what that guide says...I just want to be how you see me."

"I'm not the only one who sees you better than you see yourself," I said truthfully. Even Andrew had reluctantly admitted to Ryder's character once before. No one could really deny it. Other than making questionable decisions that normal teenage boys made, he hadn't really been immoral or cruel enough to even associate himself with the word evil.

"Yeah, well I don't really care how anyone else sees me but you," he responded with an arrogant smile before leaning down to finally press his lips to mine, which is what I've wanted for days—especially today. That only led to me eagerly kissing him back and quicker than I expected, his hands both made it to my waist for him to pull me into him. Even though my eyes were closed, I felt them tingle as if when I'd open them, they'd be the bright purple Ryder had seen once before. It made sense to feel my wolf want to come out because by the tightness and sharpness of the grip Ryder had on my waist, I could bet money his was starting to present himself. I waited for his canines to sprout in his mouth and wanted to relish in his powerful red eyes, but I was too into kissing him. By the time his hands had found my ass and I thought he'd just pick me up and take my innocence then and there at the side of a road after pressing me against a tree, we both pulled away at the sound of a car pulling up. We exchanged one look and several breaths because well, we were out of breath.

"Uh..." a voice began to say and we looked over to see Trevor in a window-less Jeep. "Am I intruding on some intentional stroll in the dark or do you want a ride?"