Bread and Butter for a Smile

Start from the beginning

"Thanks J.J. That would be great! I'd love to meet your dad." She says excitedly. We head inside and take off our coats as the warm air of my house hits our faces. My dad walked around the corner in surprise.

"Mi cielito, who are they?" My dad asks looking at Donna and Hyde.

"Papá, this is Donna and this is Hyde, my new friends I keep telling you about. Donna, Hyde, this is my father." I introduced them to each other. My father approached smiling. He was so happy to finally be meeting the friends he keeps hearing so much about. He shook both of their hands happily.

"Welcome to our home! I'm so glad my daughter has received such a warm welcome from such nice people. Please call me Mr.Martín." He welcomes them.

"Glad to meet you Mr.Martín, J.J. is such a nice friend to have. We're glad to have met her." Donna says while Hyde just smiles and nods. I don't imagine this is the best situation for him.

"So Judith says you guys live just across the street, is that correct?" My father asks and Donna's eyes go wide and Hyde just smiles as Donna learned my first name.

"Yeah actually, I'm surprised my parents haven't greeted you yet with brownies. If you'd like you could come to thanksgiving with us." Donna invites. My father smiles and accepts her invitation.

"That would be lovely. I'm sure Judith and I would be very happy to join you. It would be nice to celebrate with others, right Judith?" I just smile and nod embarrassed making mental notes to kill both Hyde and Donna for how much they were enjoying this.

"Of course, papá." I say with my fake smile. "I'm gonna show Hyde and Donna my room." I say grabbing their arms and dragging them away.

"No funny business!" My Father calls after us as we enter my room. I close the door and sigh as the two look around my room getting more clues into my life.

"Nice rock n roll collection! Whose the band on the poster?" Hyde asks looking at my Queen poster above my bed.

"That's Queen, my favorite band. They're not too big in America but they're on their way up. I could show you guys a song or two on the record player if you want." I offer as they looked around. Donn suddenly gasped.

"What if you showed us on one of your guitars?!" She exclaims holding up the red one that was the nicest guitar I had. I ran to her and grab it from her.

"Careful! This is a custom made Gibson ES-335TD Its very special and very expensive. I don't mind if you hold the other two as much, but this one, This one I only ever play for special occasions." I explain putting it back on its stand.  "And you guys don't wanna hear me play I'm not that good."

"Then why the hell do you have three guitars? Come on doll, you gotta be somewhat decent. Play 'Stairway To Heaven'." Hyde suggests. I sigh and just pick up my acoustic guitar instead and sit on my bed.

"Fine but I'm only playing the first verse." I huff. I quickly make sure the guitar is in tune before beginning the slow tune. The only sound heard was the strings of my guitar as I played the slow tune. I closed my eyes and lost myself in the song and before I knew it, I began singing.

"There's a lady who's sure
All that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows
If the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Oh oh oh oh and she's buying a stairway to heaven"

My eyes flutter open to see the wide smile from Donna and a look of awe from Hyde. "J.J. That was amazing, you should be performing somewhere!" Donna exclaimed. I gave a small smile.