Bread and Butter for a Smile

Location: J.J.'s House

Time: 8:00 A.M.

____________________________________

I sat on my bed strumming my guitar, relishing the sweet tune that I had been teaching myself recently. As I strummed, I began to sing with it. How could I not? While I feel I couldn't do Brian May any justice with my voice, I couldn't help but close my eyes and sing the last chorus.

"Don't you hear my call
though you're many years away
Don't you hear me calling you
All your letters in the sand
cannot heal me like your hand
For my life
Still ahead
Pity me"

I strummed out the last bit of the song and let the ghost of the tune echo around my room. I wiped a stray tear from my face and set my guitar in the corner next to the other two close to the vanity.

I sat looking at myself in the mirror as another tear rolled down my cheek. I pressed my finger on the glass at my reflection sternly. "Get your shit together." I firmly say to myself. I then tie my hair up with my ribbon to get it out of my face.

I opted to grab my skateboard and make my exit towards the door still humming the tune. My first step outside made me immediately turn around and grab a coat as it was cold and I'm probably crazy to skateboard in this weather, but, I just wanted to clear my head and skateboarding was the best way to do it.

My dark hair waving behind me in its ribbon with the wind and the steady passing of houses just helped be get a better grip on myself. I took a deep breath and gave a small smile at the joy this activity brings me. I couldn't help myself and did a kick flip in my driveway when I returned home.

"Woah man, that was pretty cool." An amazed Hyde approached me. We haven't talked too much since the disco, which was fine, I really didn't know what to say.

"I think you mean that was freakin awesome!" Donna exclaimed approaching me. I just give her a wide smile, her praise was always nice to hear. I pick up my board and begin walking towards them.

"Thanks Donna, what are you guys up to?" I ask wondering why they weren't in the basement or just at the Forman's in general.

"Forman's went to go pick up Laurie so we're just waiting for them to come back." Donna explains. A wave of confusion washed over my face when she said that. "Oh! Laurie is Eric's older sister. You're lucky to have not met her yet."

"Why's that?"

"Colossal whore." Hyde casually says barely even looking up. I nod in understanding. Just then a wind rushes through and we all shiver.

"Umm well you guys wanna go inside while we wait for the Forman's to come home. Just to warm up, my dad is inside but he won't mind to much. He works nights so he might be grouchy but he's still a really nice guy." I offer quite awkwardly. It would be the first time they've been in my house and met my dad at the same time and I'm nervous.