All we see is light (And maybe lies)| Part 2

Start from the beginning

"That was an emergency landing." He said, remembering. My mom turned back to Evan.

"I can't believe he took you there. I bet that was fun. I bet you two... I bet you had fun." We all were secretly grinning remembering the fun times we had. But they soon disappeared all of us remember where we were now.

"We did. The whole day was just...

"End of May or early June, this picture-perfect afternoon we share..."  Singing. It was a strange concept of this world, all of us just... singing. When we can't seem to talk we rhyme, and use the only thing we can do, that's the world we live in. Harmonies appearing, it was seemingly easy. And no one really questioned it. My mom turned back to my dad.

"What was the name of that ice cream place out there we loved?"

"À La Mode." My dad spoke up.

"That was it! À La Mode. And they had that homemade hot fudge..."

"Drive the winding country road, grab a scoop at "À La Mode," and then we're there." He was looking at his shoes, slightly red. Evan had a nice voice, like an unhealthy amount of butter being spread on slightly undercooked toast. (I have no clue I'm sorry) My mom looked at my dad.   

"We'd sit in that meadow, with all the sycamores, and you and your brother would look for four-leaf clovers!" She looked at me, like a part of him loves on. She was smiling, really smiling, like I hadn't seen before.

"An open field that's framed with trees,
We pick a spot and shoot the breeze like buddies do.
Quoting songs by our favorite bands,
Telling jokes no one understands, except us two.
And we talk and take in the view.
All we see is sky for forever.
We let the world pass by for forever.
Feels like we could go on for forever this way-
Two friends on a perfect day." He looked up. We were all staring at him.

"I'd completely forgotten about that place." My dad said something unexpressed in his eyes.

"Well, I guess Connor didn't..." She looked at Evan hopefully. "Did he?" Evan swallowed and smiled a bit.

"We walk a while and talk about, the things we'll do when we get out of school. Bike the Appalachian trail or, write a book or learn to sail, wouldn't that be cool? There's nothing that we can't discuss like girls we wish would notice us but never do." I noticed his eyes darting towards me and he cleared his throat. My ears turned red. 

"He looks around and says to me, "There's nowhere else I'd rather be" And I say, "me too". And we talk and take in the view. We just talk and take in the view. All we see is sky for forever. We let the world pass by for forever...Feels like we could go on for forever this way, this way...All we see is light for forever.'Cause the sun shines bright for forever. Like we'll be alright for forever this way, two friends on a perfect day..." All of a sudden he stood up and ran out from behind the table, past me and to the front of the kitchen.

"And there he goes, racing toward the tallest tree! From far across the yellow field I hear him calling, "follow me!"There we go, wondering how the world might look from up so high-one foot after the other, one branch then to another. I climb higher and higher. I climb 'til the entire, sun shines on my face!" He belts the last word. If silence could be a gas, the air would be full of it. 

"And I suddenly feel the branch give way. I'm on the ground, my arm goes numb. I look around. And I see him come to get me..." His voice broke.