Chapter 22

I wanted to be mad at Matthew but it was so hard when he kept tickling me.

"Matthew!" I try to kick him but he uses it to his advantage and tickles my feet.

His phone rings and he finally leaves me alone. He tells me to answer his phone so he could get some chips.

"Hello?" I answer. "Hey Emma," I cringe when she says my name wrong, "is Matthew there?"

"He's not here right now, did you want me to leave him a message?"

"No, no, just wanted to talk." There's a dead silence after that. What was I supposed to say?

Oh, of course I'll let you talk to my boyfriend, I don't mind at all.

"Welp, it was great talking to you, have a blessed day." Matthew walks inside as soon as I hang up. "Who was that?"

"Your best friend."

He grabs his phone with a sigh, "what did she want?" He tosses me a bag of chips and I speak, "she just wanted to talk with you." I say in a high perky voice.

Matt sits down next to me and turns so he's staring at me. "Alright, what do you wanna know?"

That was unexpected.

"You can't just put me on the spot like that, how am I supposed to come up with a ques-"

"Just cut to the chase." He laughs.

"Does she like you?"

"Maybe, probably? I don't know." Matthew says while scratching the back of his head.

"Tell me about you guys." I surprisingly say. I'm not even sure if I wanted to know.

"Well, we met each other in second grade and ever since then we've been super close. We started dating and broke it off because of distance."

When he said that it felt like I just got punched in the heart.

"Oh." Was all I could say to that. She's back here which means she had to be hoping for their relationship to form again.

Matthew pulls me closer to him. "That was in the past and you," He gives me a small kiss, "are very much the present."

"Okay, okay. You're so lucky I'm a good person."

We watch a movie and before I know it, I'm falling asleep.
~~~~~~~~
"Hey, I'm kind of busy right now."

I was hearing voices but I wasn't sure if I was dreaming or not.

"I'm with Emily, I am not going to wake her up so I can meet up with you."

Who was he talking to?

I wanted to listen in on what he was talking about but I didn't want to be that girlfriend.

He sighs and then I feel the couch shift. A hand lightly shakes me and I wake up as if I had no clue what was going on.

"Emily," I sit up slowly. "I have to go somewhere so I'm going to drop you off, alright?"

I cover my eyes to block the light that was trying to blind me. Matt grabs my things and he grabs his keys.

Before I get up I turn to him. "You know, I was really comfortable, you just had to ruin it."

"Someone just had to ruin it." He mumbles.

We get inside the car. He doesn't make any conversation which was odd.

"What's wrong?"

He looks at me quickly then back at the road. "What do you mean?"