Chapter Four

“I’m sorry but I can’t take these,” her voice shivered. She was reckless to let those words out instead of saying a simple and polite word of thanks. George indeed had kept his promise that he would come over to spend time with them whenever he could. But today was different. His company, his purpose why he was there had made Lucy shrink in her seat.

“Why not?” He let out a crooked smile.

She just shook her head in response, having her sight kept away from the stack of bills which was laid on her lap. Twenty-eight quids. George must be out his mind to just give away what he worked for, Lucy thought. How hard it is to instantly earn money that much these days. Her regular wage as a worker, even if she tidied up a maximum of ten rooms a day, she couldn’t make half of what was being given to her now.

“It’s yours. I’m not taking it.”

“Come on, Lucy,” George knelt in front of her. Lucy flinched and wanted to get up but George held her down. “I just wanted to help you. I really do. So please… just take ‘em. Please.”

“You pity me don’t you?”

George was stunned at her bluntness. He swallowed. “N-No.. I-I want to help. That’s all,” he stammered, blinking back tears. “W-Will you please just—Please?”

Lucy looked at him. He wasn’t going to stop until she accepted was he? “How am I going to pay you back…”

“Oh no, Lucy. You don’t have to!”

“Stop pulling my leg. This is too much money! You have two give me two months to be able to—“

 She heard Julie cried. Lucy pushed the money back to George and ran to her daughter.

“Ssshh.. Baby it’s alright.. Mummy’s now here!” She lulled her daughter while carrying her in her arms. As Lucy turned around, she saw George standing at the doorway. “And Uncle George’s here too.”

“That’s right, lil’ darling. Yer Uncle George  loves ya just like yer mum does,” George walked closer and smiled down at Julie who was still falling back to sleep.

Listening to him, Lucy hid her smile while she put her baby back into her cot. She knew George was standing behind her, watching them both. For now, he was her savior and she couldn’t say enough how grateful she was for him to be there. This young man acted more mature ad selflessly despite him being quite younger than she was. Of all the lads she knew, she thought George was the sweetest and kindest. If only John would have been like George. But that could never happen, she said to herself.

“Hey lovely, you’re not forgetting this okay?”

Again, George took her hand and placed the money on her palm. He begged of her to take and keep it. It was meant only for her.

She nodded and clutched the bills, putting them safely in her dress’s pocket. She was in the brink of crying so she pulled George into a tight embrace, burying her face between his neck and shoulder.