Part 2

I clammed up. I knew I had to tell him sooner or later. "It's okay. Take your time" Tom said stroking my arm. I was adopted as a baby and I never thought I belonged in the family that were bringing me up. "When I was 17, I ran away from home. I couldn't cope with my family arguing all the time. Everything had gotten too much. It was 2 weeks before Christmas so it was especially stressing" I stopped and took a breath. What I was about to tell him, no one knew. "When I ran away, I slept rough for a few nights until someone found me. Her name was Natasha. I know you are not allowed to speak or go to strangers but I was cold, hungry and I stank. She cared for me like I was her own child'. I looked over at Tom. He was sat there with his eyes full of concern. I continued. "I stayed with her for a couple weeks and I had told her everything. About me, my family, my life but I never told her where I lived. There were news reports and missing posters with my face on but I couldn't face going back home. Natasha never pushed me to tell her why I ran away and I was grateful but when it was all over the news I blurted everything out and told her". By this time, Tom's hand had reached over and intertwined with mine.

"After I finished telling her why I left, she was stood there stock still. Then she began to cry". I took another deep breath as I could feel the tears beginning to fall. "I'm sorry Tom, but  I don't think I can do this" I said. I got up and ran out of our flat.
How was I going to tell him that I found my birth mother and lost her on Christmas Day?