Chapter 12: La Recluta

Start from the beginning

How come? Isn't why they're called Fortunello? The lucky ones, chosen among the best.

"In... what way?"

"Q and Inno, are bastards of smaller boss syndicates. Q as a mute and Inno shy like a virgin bride were thought to be useless. Zak's father took them in. Jah, Kut and Alfon were sons of hitmen. They were taken too by the old man. And did you know, Gentle almost killed the old Orleonne? He was too violent then. But the old man just laughed and praised him, taught him to control his anger."

"How about the others?"

"Now I'll definitely get in trouble. The guys don't like telling people their past. But then, I'm halfway done, so I'm already screwed. Pink and Greco's father was a rat, not the animal. I mean a mafia rat, a traitor. That man was trading intel with the authorities. After almost sabotaging the mafia, he went in hiding and left his sons. But he still died though.

Those two were left for dead. Naturally, the underbosses and capos or the captains took out their anger on them. But good old Arthur Orleonne took them in too. Bino... well that fucker got it easy. A gambler's son. When his father couldn't pay the debt, he sold his three sons. The older two went to other families, and Bino went to the Orleonnes. Then there's Byrone, he got in because his father was a friend of the old don."

"And you?"

Pete moved his swing, took time to answer. "I'm from the land of rainbows and unicorns. I came to Earth to enjoy mortal living."

I frowned. "I'm serious, what's your story?"

He just shrugged with indifference. "Well, who knows?"

How unfair. He never showed a hint anything about himself.

"We're just too intense for normal people. A group of misfits. This is the life we live in. If Zak says we die smiling, then we should. Well maybe, only them. I won't though. I've yet to rule the world, you see."

"Then, are you friends?"

"Of course not," he proudly answered. "Well, some of us think this is like a brotherhood. But I'm just here for the fun. I never doubted Zak's abilities. The deal with the Orient was a great move. If protecting the package is our way to win, so be it."

Now we are back to the first question. "What's inside the package?"

"Can you guess?"

Several things come to mind, they were too farfetched or too predictable even for me.

"I have an idea but I couldn't confirm it yet," he added after my silence. "Maybe it's hidden in one of the vaults. Zak's been staying there longer than any part of the house. Maybe it's hidden there. Do y-"

He couldn't finish. A fist kissed his face and he fell down the swing. Bino grabbed him by the collar. "You idiot! Now she knows too much!"

"Ah, I forgot how strong you are. Thanks for reminding me." He then wiped the blood from his nose. "Look, you scared her."

The Fortunello rushed out of the main house towards us. Even Lilo tagged along.

"Now that she knew a lot, she'll be targeted. People want information, you just had put her into danger." Then Bino hit Pete once more.

The latter picked himself up and dusted the dirt on his shirt. He came to me, his hands on my shoulder. "Stop whining, I just did you a favor. Now that she knew what's happening, she'd be more careful. Precious isn't stupid. You'd be surprised what's going on in her head... maybe. What are you afraid of? Zak told us to protect her, I just did what I thought was right."

"But man, it's a risk," said Jah, found comfort under a shade.

"A risk? By leaving her out of it? What would you think she feels?"

"Hanna's been spacing out the past few days," Inno joined. "Maybe... maybe she's confused, she doesn't know what to do." With Bino's glare, he immediately apologized and hid behind Q.

"It's not our job to make her happy," Pink opposed.

"But we're doing it anyway."

"Shut up, Greco."

Despite their tone, I couldn't take the Gringo brothers seriously. They were arguing while riding the see-saw in an even momentum.

"I'm sorry..." I said. "I asked because I was afraid and I didn't know anything." Half of it was a lie, nevertheless, still a lie.

"It's... okay Hanna," Inno assured, and turned to the others, "I'm sorry, b-but I think Pete's right. After all, she's with us. She is a Fortunello."

Despite uneasiness, I couldn't tell Adam to stopped playing with my hair. "How sweet of you, Inno. She's one of us now, you think? You have no power to decide, recruiting a girl that has no skill. Now... why don't we ask the king?"

He looked up the treehouse. There, Zak was sitting at the top of the ladder, quietly looking down on us.

How long has he been there? All this time, he was listening? That's why Adam looks up from time to time. He knew Zak was watching us all along.

"Is she with us?" Pete asked him.

Seconds of silence, everyone waited.

"Does she want to?" Zak answered through a question.

Now it was my turn to be grilled by their stares. Do I want to be a part of this twisted family? To belong to misfits? I couldn't read any enthusiasm nor hate in their eyes. Even Lilo had painted herself blank for the moment. They're now masked with nothingness, except Inno's hopeful face.

It's been a long time since I felt this way. Looking at how unconventional these people were, and how insane the life they lived, it didn't matter. I've reached my limit.

'With us'. Not just someone they protect, but to become one of them, a Fortunello.

Do I want to be a part of this blood circus?

"Yes."

***

The Recruit