Chapter 12: La Recluta

Start from the beginning

"Never mind reading that." Pete sat to the swing next to mine. He always had a knack for interruptions, appearing in times that I was alone.

"Why?"

"Because I said so. Books are good, but they're no match for a proper conversation. Something's bothering you?"

"No."

"Come on! At least pretend you like talking to me."

I do like talking to him, at certain times.

"You can ask me anything, I'll answer it. Like I told you, I know a lot of things."

Anything, he said.

"Then, what's the package that the mafia has been fighting over?"

His confident smile faltered and returned just as quick, and responded with a raised eyebrow. "My, my... you're asking too much from me, Precious. No warm-up? My favorite food, first kiss, you know... getting-to-know-you questions."

"Never mind." I went back to my book.

His head tilted towards the tree-house above us. "If I talk too much, I could die this instant. But since I am a man of my word, I'll answer you somehow." He stopped swinging. "Gear up, I'll teach you history."

I closed my book and listened.

"You see precious, the world is too small for powerful men. What do we do? Divide it. In our case, the North, South and the Orient. But men are selfish, it's our nature. One way or another, we want everything for ourselves. So the North and South had been fighting for total control. While the Orient didn't care and looked after their own."

"The Neutrals," I said, heard the same name from Zak and Second's conversation before. I was too young when I left the clan, but I knew Kyosei was part of the Orient.

"Yes, you're right. When the old Orleonne was assassinated, the responsibility fell to the eldest son, our baby boy, Zak. All of it. Revenge, ruling and everything. Usually, the boss chooses the successor, but he died. Another, the Orleonnes were betrayed. The underlings, supporters... all gone. The hierarchy collapsed. Our boy Zachary is rebuilding the empire of the South, if you say it dramatically."

He looked up again and laughed.

"He got it you know, a demon in the making. So, to revive Famiglia Orleonne, he bargained with the Orient. He is to take care of an important package until it is collected. In exchange, the Orient will side with us, the South, against the North. If that happens, we would be invincible... or so they say."

"But why? Zak can always run away and start a new life. You too, you can all live differently."

"Precious... everyone may run away, but not me." I paused for the evil glint passed through his eyes that lacked humor and was then replaced with nonchalance. "Anyway, if Zak's going to run with his tail between his legs, he's done for. He tried that, you know. That's why he left for two years to hide. But still, many people consider him as a threat. The Fotunello was divided. Alfon, Byrone and I were lucky to stay for Lilo. I wasn't there but I know it was hard. They want to kill him in every opportunity they've got. Man, just look at Bino, all the stress got him uglier. They don't want the throne yet, but they don't want the Orleonnes to reclaim it either. So he decided to fight back."

In a world where nothing's permanent and loyalty is just given to few people, Zak is lucky to have the Fortunello.

"Why do you follow him?"

"Hmm..." He scratched his head. "I don't know if I should tell you. But since no one's complaining, maybe it's fine. You see, before we became the Fortunellos, we were... unwanted."