Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

Chapter 4: Il Ritorno Del Re

A few days after what happened, I avoided them like the plague. Even two of them were in my class, nothing progressed for the worst. 

Understandable. They would think it was just a babble of nonsense, out of fear and panic. Or insanity. So I was left alone. From time to time, Bino would throw curious glances my way, but I pretended not to notice and stuck to my mantra, 'Don't make friends. Don't make enemies'.

Though retrieving my scissors was a priority, there was nothing much I can do. It's the price of cowardice. So much for a peaceful birthday. At the end of the day, it wasn't ordinary anymore. Aside from my encounter with the transfer students, something more unexpected was waiting for me at home. 

I've had cakes before, but it wasn't blank like my uncle always sends. This time, it had 18 drawn on it and a card with "See you soon".

Maybe the time I had lived away as Hanna Mamori was enough. Finally. After all these years.

A lot of things happened in the past few days too. Deep down, I felt something is coming.

Byrone disappeared. Alfon and Pete now followed Bino. The 'Kings' was demolished, a new group rose to power with new faces as members. Those who have stayed long in Beaumondville High claimed that the new students were the original rulers, returning from two years of absence.

They were once called Fortunello or Lucky Dogs. As someone who found rare humor in things, a smile escaped my lips because it sounded like a sports team, but there was a deep meaning to the name. It is said they were chosen group of elites loyal to their leader. It's like how dogs follow a master and it was an honor. Hence the name, Fortunello.

Bino, Alfon, Adam and the new students were the members. Aside from sticking together, they didn't do anything. They even acted like a bunch of bored guys that mostly sleep in class, and walk in group like one living specie. Yet, the fake tranquility they portray sets them apart like calm before the storm. The proof was that the old members of Kings would either go the other way or bow their swollen faces. Crowd part and then hush.

I had nothing to do with the campus legends or drama, but somehow, it has become peaceful. I guess it was better that way. And again, I've been proven wrong.

"Where is he?!" Byrone busted into the classroom whilst dragging a limp body of a woman. The blue overcoat was gone, a few buttons were removed from her white sleeved shirt, exposed a white bra and the swelling breast for everyone to see, distracted from her battered face. As she looked up, the same cold face stared back at us. Vivienne Wies. Byrone beat the woman he worshipped. Why?

Older looking men strolled after him, and were obviously not affiliated to the school in any way. It wouldn't be a surprise if they forced themselves in. One of them even smacked his lips and focused his eyes on Vivienne's torn clothes. Some smoked cigarettes and the rest were just terrifyingly happy for no reason.

Mr. Dego, our teacher, was smashed with a bat on the head and almost flew to the board before he could even speak. That was the signal for everyone to run. Except for Bino and Alfon. I fled with the others but someone grabbed me from behind.

"Oh no you don't, mutie," Byrone hissed, hands on my hair after he passed Vivienne to his comrade. "Call him or I'll kill her!"

All I could do was wriggle free from his grasp but ended as a futile effort. Why is it always me? What happened to not getting involved?

Everyone was gone now, even the next class. What's left was a messy room, our teacher lying on the floor probably dead and another senseless fight that I shouldn't be part of.

Alfon stood. "The lady is not part of this Mr. Gotti. Especially the one in your hands right now."

"Sit down Gentle," Bino commanded. "Besides, Baby Byrone here couldn't even hurt a fly." Vivienne, surprisingly, was conscious. Despite her state, there was no hint of pain on her face. Even the man holding her who was almost sniffing the crook of her neck earned no reaction from her.

What made her so cold? She should fight back. I may not be a good example of courage, but I refuse to die like this, not now that my Uncle is coming. Now that I have something to look forward to, I refuse to die until then!

In the middle of struggle to free myself, someone knocked on the open door. "Am I late for class?"

All the attention shifted to him, who wore the same uniform, yet as if it wasn't meant for school. It was made just for him and no one else. His black hair was unkempt, like someone who just woke up. But...there was something about him, leaning on the door frame with hands on his pocket, looking at us through his bored grey eyes.

"You've finally shown your face, you son of a bitch!"

"Ah, Gotti. Long time no see. You look..." He smirked at the swelling and visible bruises on Byrone's face, "...good."

"Shut up. This is my turf now. Everything you left behind, they are mine now!" His grip on my hair went tighter, I had to cry.

Bino chimed in, talking to the newcomer. "See? I told you, Baby By still got his temper."

"Zak." Vivienne's cold face broke into a smile. "Welcome home."

There was no response, he shifted to me and frowned.

"I said leave the city!" Byrone pulled my hair harder and I whimpered.

"And if I don't want to?"

I couldn't look away from him. Deep in my gut, I knew he's of them, those kinds of people that should never be crossed, like Gustavo Qapone. A shiver ran down my spine.

"Too bad, your Vivienne's too broken to use again. I was so close to tasting her, you know. So fucking close, but then you, you came back!"

Ah, so it's him.

"You're free to slash her throat."

Pain spread on Vivienne's face.

How heartless. Even Byrone was caught off guard. If he won't help his previous lover, then how about me who's practically a stranger?

"Then, I'll add this little shit. Some random body to bury because of your fault."

If nobody would save me, I have to do it myself. And if I die, at least I'd die trying, like a Kyosei would. With my new-found adrenaline, I had freed myself. Almost.

"Stupid bitch!"

Byronne's slap was so strong I thought my head would be severed from my body. My vision spun and darkened for a moment then I fell on the floor. The impact left a ringing sound in my ears along with screams and some things breaking. In a blurry vision, I only saw fuzzy movements around the room and only Vivienne's figure sat like an undressed statue. Until finally, my vision returned to a messier room with more broken chairs and fallen bodies.

"Fuck you Orleonne! Fuck you!" Byrone screamed, barely standing up. Blood dripped from his forehead.

"Shut it, loser!" Bino screamed back then kicked his stomach. He fell unconscious. "You'll be dead before the weekend!"

Only three remained standing: Alfon, Bino and Zak. Vivienne approached Zak despite the unsteady gait. He threw a handkerchief at her before she could reach him. "Cover yourself," he commanded then turned to me.

To me, and helped me up. I knew there was something wrong with him. He was too close that I could look straight into his eyes to peek at his soul, and he looked like he didn't have one. I couldn't even speak when he touched the cheek where Bino slashed days ago, and now swelling from Byrone's slap.

I made a small cry of pain when his thumb deepened the touch. He pulled away just as quick. We were in that position when the other members of Fortunello came rushing in.

"Send her to the clinic," he commanded.

I wasn't the only one confused, darting my gaze to him then to Vivienne. "Let's go Miss," Alfon offered his hand.

"You too," Zak coldly ordered Vivienne. 

Before leaving I bowed my head. "T-thank you."

"My pleasure, Hanna..." I froze, another wave of chill ran down my spine. I never told him my name.

After the incident, Byrone and his friends were arrested. All members of the Fortunello was spared from any punishment. The school board even thanked them for the 'heroic' deed that will lead to the peace inside the school.

They should've known better. The appearance of the new students was just a sign of resurrection. On that day, Fortunello became complete.

Zachary Orleonne, as they say, the king has returned. 

***

Return of the King