Wattpad Original
There are 11 more free parts

Chapter 3: Venuta di Schiavi

"We heard rumors Byrone, and it's not good." Bino messed Alfon's hair, "Gentle told me about it." Then he laughed, insultingly. "Man, you call yourselves 'Kings'. That's hilarious. How can you stoop so low and lead a common street gang? You walk around like you own the place."
Although confused, I couldn't help but be fascinated by how he played with the scissors, twiddling and spinning in his fingers like it was a toy. Backing him up were a few new faces, probably ten or less, all wearing the same school uniform. Definitely transfer students as well. While behind Byrone were the members of the Kings.

This was not a place for me, but I also needed answers. He may or may not be the same person last night or he was somehow involved.

"Alfon, you traitor. They abandoned us and still, wag your tail like a fool?" Then the words of challenge directed to Bino. "What are you going to do about it?"

The latter ceased fiddling with the metal, his face now void of humor. "You know he had to leave for a reason."

"Bullshit. And why are you here instead of him?"

"Cleaning duty before he comes." And he shrugged. "I like doing the dirty work."

"You've become a fine errand boy for the Orleonnes."

"I know which side to take, Baby By. Another thing, royalty doesn't have to come and greet the slaves."

"The fuck you said?!"

And before I knew it, a riot exploded. In the past years, I haven't seen people fight up close, but it was certain something was off with the new students. They were swift and precise. Yet, so effortless in their steps and one had the time to yawn and scratch his head.

Bino was bulky and unrefined compared to the others, yet he moved just as cleanly, hitting, punching and breaking everyone that came through him with ease.

Graceful. I couldn't find the right words except for this one. The shadows, swirl of dust and their movements were like a dance that they had been doing ever since.

Despite the numbers, the Kings were losing. They cursed and swung their limbs and fell to the ground without grace. The fearsome title they pinned to their chests was nothing but a crown of mud. They were far from the notorious image that school pegged them to be, played by their enemies.

Only Alfon was watching by the sidelines, with the look of genuine concern. In a few minutes, the Kings' bodies littered the ground. Only Byrone who had a decent fight stood his ground with bloodshot eyes. Bino's comrades now stood behind him, like soldiers of a general. He then took out my scissors from his back pocket and held it like a weapon. "What now?" he taunted. "I love playing with new toys; do you want to be the first?"

Byrone lunged for a punch but it was a big mistake. Before his fist could reach, Bino had kicked him right in the center of his thighs. I flinched, from his howls of pain, as Byrone fell with his cries.

Bino stepped on his head. "While you were playing gangster boy, we were away with our hands on our neck just to keep it in place. If you're going to betray us, at least show us something worthwhile, dumbass." Then he kicked his stomach with no pause, I had to close my eyes from the cruelty. "Mr. Alcaster, that's enough," Alfon pulled him back and handed a handkerchief. Bino took it and in a half squat, wiped the blood on Byrone's face. "Any last words?"

"My father will hear about this!"

"Oh, scary. Your father will lick Zachary's shoes soon. I could kill you and get away with it like a free man."

Chill ran down my spine. Am I about to witness a murder, within the school premises of all places? Just who are these people?

"Fun, isn't it?"

I gasped by the voice behind me. Before I knew it, I was dragged across a short distance with the person pulling my hair.

"Yo. Am I late for the party?" said the man who dragged me.

"You're next, Einstein. After I slash Baby By's throat here."

Einstein. I know a person who goes by that nickname. Pete Charleswin, 'the brain'. He does not excel academically, but many said that he could if he wanted to. He had impressive grades a few years back to prove it, but along the way, he stopped trying.

The Kings could get away with any problems and complaints because he twisted and searched for holes in the law. If there wasn't any, he made one. However, he and Alfon never took part in any of the Kings' activities.

He's someone passive in action, but a threat if he sets his mind on it. And he knew it. From time to time, he bullied the top students and even the student council for fun. He threatened their positions that cost a lot of money and hard work to achieve.

He didn't even bother to walk around the fallen bodies and stepped on them as he dragged me, until he reached Byrone. "You traitor!?"

"Well. Aren't you grumpy?" He shifted his weight on his foot in a lazy pause, hand in his pocket and the other on my hair. "I don't have loyalty. I'm only friends with winners. You already know that, big boy."

"The Orleonnes have lost the South!"

Through his fake pity at Byrone on the ground, he retorted with the same teasing tone. "And you think the Gottis can lead it? Come to think of it, after all this time, no family took over the South."

My cries were swallowed Byrone's empty threats. "You traitor! You'll fall along with them!"

"You know why they had to leave. He is back, Byrone." He said in a tone that they should be afraid. A short silence passed as he let the message sink in. But then, his other hand hugged herself. "Man, that sounded so cool." And frowned to Bino. "Anyway, stop that, will you? Zak is lying low; another murder will not help it. And besides, you're scaring our guest." I almost kissed the ground when he let me go.

"Who's that?" Bino asked.

"Another casualty."

I stared at them in fear but I didn't dare to say anything. The sun was already gone and there was no moon seen. Beyond the smile, I know Pete could be as heartless. "Cat got your tongue?"
No. I shook my head.

"Why are you here?"

I bit my lip to hold back the tears. One growl from Bino and I was already begging. "P-Please.... l-let me go."

"I remember you, mute girl."

I'm not; I just don't want to speak.

"What the fuck do you want?"

No, I shouldn't be scared. I came here because I wanted to know. Probably, it's the only thing that I want to find out and do something about it. With a shaky hand, I pointed out the scissors in his grip. "G-Give it back."

Bino's hearty laugh rang. Without warning, he held a few strands of hair stuck on my face and cut it.

"You cannot get something that isn't yours, mutie."

He then licked the blades. Up close, I can see the details of the scissors. The carving has the same words my hand traced for many years.

"For the blood."

"What?"

"Per Il Sangue means 'for the blood'. I-It's mine."

Part of my head screamed for me to stop. Shut up. Shut up!

The playful curve of his lips had inverted to a frown. In a hazy moment, a sting went through my cheek. With a trembling hand, I felt the blood on my skin and a red stain on the blade he held.

"I said, it's not yours. This is one of a kind. This is recently given to me by—" he stopped himself before he could say more. "By the time I finished to three, you'd be out of my sight. If not, I'll make you silent forever, yeah?"

I didn't understand what he said. Instead, I was just staring at him while memories flooded like a tsunami.

'You should've listened and stayed quiet.'

"One."

His count was just a faraway echo, swallowed by the bloody memories.

"Two."

"It wasn't my fault." Unconsciously, I covered my ears and crouched to the ground. It's coming back. My nightmares are here, real than ever. "It wasn't my fault."

I gasped when Alfon wiped the blood on my cheek. "Please run, Miss."

'You should've listened and stayed quiet.'

"I didn't kill her."

Nobody spoke at my words. Too late to take it back, now they know something. Before I could say more, I ran.

***

Coming of Slaves