"I believe this klunk about as much as I believe Frypan's food is good for you," Winston glowered, denying the possible truth.

Irritation surged through me as I snapped my heated gaze to the Keeper of the Slicers. I was ready to let that shithead get a piece of my mind before Newt calmly slid his large hand overtop of mine. His calloused fingers soothed my internal rage, reminding me not to work myself up. I let my gaze drift over to the perched blonde, my attention leaving the argument which now plagued Thomas and Winston. Newt quickly sent me a gently grin, his eyes still wide with the unwanted truth. I relaxed into Newt's grip, ignoring the nagging in the back of my mind that one of these nights I could possibly lose him.

Alby was the one to bring us back to reality, "Just keep talking. I just don't get why none of us remembered this stuff. I've been through the Changing, but I didn't learn nothin'."

"I'll get to that in a minute...," Thomas breathed, barely glancing at Alby before turning to Newt, "Should I keep going?"

"Talk." Newt jutted out his chin, his hard eyes staring him down as he waited for the rest of the story.

"Okay, somehow they wiped our memories - not just our childhood, but all the stuff leading up to the Maze. They put us in the Box and sent us up here - a big group to start and then one a month over the last two years." Thomas rambled.

"But why? What's the bloody point?" Newt asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"T, we know this part." I urged on.

Thomas nodded, making dramatic hand gestures towards Newt and I, "I'm getting there. Like I said, they wanted to test us, see how we'd react to these Variables, and to a problem that has no solution. See if we could work together - build a community. We were given the most common puzzles known to civilization - a maze. All this added up to making us think there had to be a solution, just encouraging us to work all the harder while at the same time magnifying our discouragement at not finding one. What I am saying is, there is no solution."

Opinions from different parties were thrown about the room as everyone became defensive at the idea of having no solution. Even I began tossing out my own questions.

"See? Your reaction proves my point. Most people would've given up by now. But I think we're different. We couldn't accept that a problem can't be solved - especially when it's something as simple as a maze. And we've kept fighting no matter how hopeless it's gotten," Thomas became more enraged the more he spoke, "Whatever the reason , it makes me sick! All of this - the Grievers, the walls moving, the Cliff - they're just elements of a stupid test. We're being used and manipulated. The Creators wanted to keep our minds working toward a solution that was never there. Same thing goes for Ame and Teresa being sent here."

Hearing my own "name", come into the explanation, I leaned forward eager to hear my purpose.

"Ame was sent here a day before a scheduled Greenie would. She was used to trigger the Beginning. Her purpose, from what I can remember, was to test the waters and see if the Gladers would react positively or negatively to the change in Greenies. Then I was sent up exactly one month after Chuck. Then Teresa was used to trigger the Ending - whatever that means - the place being shut down, gray skies, blah, blah, blah. They're throwing crazy things at us to see our response and test our will. See if we'll turn on each other. In the end, they want the survivors for something important."

A scoff echoed across the Gathering, all heads turning to a now standing Frypan, "And killing people? That's a nice little part of their plan?" I nodded along to what Fry said, agreeing that this test was a bit excessive.

"Yes, Frypan, killing people," Thomas wiped his forehead, a gleam of anxiety flashing about his hazel eyes, "The only reason the Grievers are doing it one by one is so we don't all die before it ends the way it's supposed to. Survival of the fittest. Only the best of us will escape."