Chapter Three: Smarter Than Meets the Eye

After the eventful bus ride there, the idea of school seemed a little more boring than usual. Most of math rushed through like a whirl. I had been thinking of Freyja, looking distracted, something I almost never did. Of course I was paying attention, but my distracted gaze apparently led to the belief that I wasn't. 

"Suzanne, Kaelan, and Jon T."

I frowned. "I- I didn't raise my hand, sir." Mr. Folkert had asked volunteers to raise their hands.

"But I expect that you were paying attention anyway, O'Connell. So would you mind showing the rest of the class exactly how much you were paying attention by going to the board with Suzanne and Jon and solving your equation?" 

I blushed. Normally Mr. Folkert was nicer to me than the rest of the students. Then again, normally I looked more like I was paying attention. But really, calling on me to stand in front of the class? He knew I hated attention. That was just mean. I stood up and walked to the front of the classroom with my head down and my black hair swept over the top of my right eye. Suzanne was almost done with her problem by now, but it seemed as if Jon had also been picked because he also appeared to not be paying attention. He was sweating, and I knew that he didn't know what any of it meant.

I solved my problem through the step process, as I was supposed to do. I knew that I could solve it in my head if I wanted to, but I didn't want Mr. Folkert to know that. Just after Suzanne solved her problem, I solved mine. I was about to put my chalk down and walk away, when I realized that Jon had no idea whatsoever of what to write. He was completely hopeless, and about to be embarrassed in front of the whole class. I looked at his equation. It was actually rather simple, I thought. Sighing quietly, I took pity on him.

"Jon, x equals the square root of thirteen divided by two." I whispered. I knew he could hear me when he glanced over at me, and then started writing it down. I put down my chalk and walked back to my seat. I slouched in my seat this time, rather irritated at myself for that uncalled for act of kindness. Mr. Folkert had sharp eyes. I wouldn't be surprised if he caught me cheating.

I looked up at the board, where Jon had just written out his answer without writing more than two of the steps. If I could have face-palmed without drawing attention to myself, I would have. I was going to get detention for sure, and then my mother would beat me again. My mood darkened a considerably. I could almost feel my anger and frustration crackling around me like a gray storm cloud, ready to burst at a moments notice.

Under some miracle, I don't believe that Mr. Folkert noticed Jon and I's cheating. His eyes skimmed over all three problems, and then he turned to face the class and smiled. "All three are correct. That's a relief. I usually expect at least one of you to fail miserably."

After that, he continued on with the rest of class. Occasionally calling for someone to volunteer information. I raised my hand every time. From past experience, I knew that not raising your hand most of the time when you knew the answer was counted as a bad mark. Also known as 'not participating in class'. I wasn't called on again today though.

The bell rang, and I scooped up my backpack, stuffing my notes in a side pocket. Before I reached the door, someone handed me a piece of paper and rushed off before I could say a word. What was it with this school and notes? Couldn't the kids talk to each other like normal people? Then again, I was no one to judge, not knowing the definition of normal very well.

The note read: Thanks man. I O U one. Anytme.

Oh great. Now I was expected to talk to this guy. Maybe I could hire him and his friends to destroy Barry's car... But no, my mother would blame me anyway, assuming it was my fault even if it wasn't. Only, this time it would be, so she's really be blaming me correctly. Huh. Nearly everyone had cleared out, only a few students remained, chatting on their way out. I walked to the door briskly, only to be stopped by Mr. Folkert.