e i g h t

When I arrive home, Ezra immediately attacks with me a hug and excitedly yells, "You're home!"

  "I know where I am," I tell him.

  "Scarlet, I'm sorry for not being honest with you. I've been dating Iris for two months now and I was going to tell you but then you gave me that lecture."

  "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I have things to do, Ezra, get out of my way."

  "Scarlet, listen to me. I broke up with Iris since I can't have my sister hate a relationship I'm in."

  My ears can't even believe what he just said and I ask, "how could you be so stupid?"

  "What do you mean? You hate Iris."

"That's just me being an annoying and protective older sister! I swear Ezra, you better find that girl and make everything better."

"I— I did not expect that," he says.

"It doesn't matter! What are you doing, standing here? Go fix everything!"

He quickly nods as if scared that I'll yell at him again and he runs out the door.

  "A protective and harsh older sister. Isn't that how all older siblings are towards their younger siblings relationships?" My dad jokingly asks me as he walks in to the room.

  "That's a stereotype!"

  "And you just proved it," he says.

  "Whatever," I say and I start to go up the stairs.

"Wait. Scarlet, can you come over to the living room?"

"Sure," I hesitantly respond.

"We need to talk," he tells me and he sits down on one of the couches.

I opt to sit on the one facing him and I start to worry about what this discussion is about.

"It's almost Christmas," he simply says.

"I know."

"It's going to be the anniversary of your mom's death."

"I'm aware," I harshly tell him.

"Scarlet, I'm glad that you've seemed to have stopped hating Christmas but I'm worried that when the day actually comes, you're not going to be okay. Each year, something happens and you act out. I don't want that to happen this year."

I frown, remembering three years ago when I threw lighted candles in anger at the tree and nearly let the house burn down. Last year, I simply refused to leave my bedroom the whole day but he's right, I always act out.

"It won't, dad. Stella helped me get over that."

"All these years of me trying to change your mind and all it took was a caroler to do it herself."

I don't know if he's serious or joking until he smiles, which tells me that he's joking.

"She's special, dad. I can feel it."

"If she changed your mind about Christmas then I think she must be special too."

He grins and gives me a kiss on my forehead, leaving me alone in the living room.

"I'll finish making dinner soon, hang tight."

I wordlessly go upstairs into my room and look out the window, only to find Ezra talking with Iris. I shouldn't spy but I can't resist laughing when he leans in for a kiss but somehow trips on the ice.

  I think clumsiness runs in this family.