CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN

Start from the beginning

"OK, OK, I get it. I won't move. Will you just answer now? Your fiancé is waiting for you and I know that you want to hear his voice, so please answer." 

Valerie gave Courtney one last look before she pressed answer and moved to her bedroom. "Hey sweetheart—"

With the door slammed shut, Courtney was left alone with her thoughts. Her eyes' sole focus was the closed. As she was wiping her dried tears away with the sleeve of her sweater, she wondered if she should tell Valerie about what had happened with her father earlier that evening. On one side she definitely wanted to tell her just so that she could get it off of her chest, but on the other side she didn't want to bother her friend with all of her problems. What if Valerie was going to think that she was some freak?

Her internal debate went on and on, until the door opened again. Valerie walked out as she said her last goodbyes to her fiancé. "Yes, of course I will, don't worry. I'll see you soon, okay? Bye, love." She ended the call and looked at Courtney, who was giving her a half-smile. "I'm so sorry for taking so long. It was just Theo who was just giving me a rundown of his day before he went to bed."

"Oh, no, don't apologize for that."

Valerie sat down next to Courtney and placed her hands on her thighs, looking at her expectantly. She hoped that during her call Courtney had calmed down enough to finally tell her what or who had made her so upset. Not that she was going to mention this to Courtney, but she also quickly informed her soon-to-be husband to ask him for some advice. He told her that she needed to be patient and let Courtney tell her on her own time instead of pushing her.

"So, are we going to watch a movie or something?" Courtney broke the silence. She had chosen to keep quiet and hoped that Valerie was going to respect her decision. She knew that if she was going to bring up her father again, she was going to cry again. Courtney didn't want to cry anymore over a man that never bothered to check up on her and just left her and her sister in the dust. He was no longer worthy of her tears and her thoughts.

"Sure, what do you want to watch?"

  ☤ ☤ ☤  

Putting her hair up into a ponytail, Courtney approached Izzie and Alex, who were sitting on a bench in front of the mirrors. She greeted the two of them with a smile and took the free spot next to Izzie. She took the apple out of her pocket and cleaned it a little with her sleeve, before taking a bite of it. It was then she noticed the awkward situation happening in front of her: Meredith was doing her hair, while George arrived to brush his teeth. However, instead of doing what he came to do, he awkwardly turned around the moment he saw the eldest Grey. "What is happening over there? Did I miss something?" Courtney asked with a mouth full of apple.

"50 bucks says O'Malley caught her doing Mark Sloan." Alex said.

"Really, Alex, really?"

"There's something going on. I mean look at them," Izzie said as they slid over to a place to watch Meredith and George better. She then remembered that she hadn't seen Courtney last night. She turned to look at her with squinting eyes. "Hey, where were you last night, Courtney? I didn't see you when I arrived home or this morning?"

"Ooh, was it you that was doing Sloan? I didn't think that you had it in you, princess. I'm proud." Alex interjected before Courtney even had the time to answer. He held up his hand for a high five, but she looked at him with a blank face. In a matter of seconds, she switched from staring to attacking. She was trying to move Izzie aside to hit Alex, but the blonde girl in the middle was holding her back.

"You two! Stop it!"

"You should be glad that Izzie's holding me back, Karev, or your scrubs would match your blue eye." Courtney heard Cristina chuckle from behind her. Ignoring Alex, she turned her attention to Izzie. "I was with Valerie actually. She had called me after I got back from, um, going to see dear old dad. I didn't really feel like driving home after we watched a movie, so I stayed there."