Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

Eventually, Hunter came in with Red, and Red gently pried Pippi off Spencer. "Let's go get something to drink. They have milkshakes in the cafeteria."

Pippi nodded, still sobbing, and Red led her away gently. Hunter knelt in front of Harper. "Harper? Hey, breathe. Deep breaths. Look at me."

"Oli, we could never live without you," she sobbed. "You see how much I suffer waiting for your poor father to come home, how could you ever think that we'd be better off?"

Oliver just looked down, and Hunter hugged Harper. "I know it's hard," said Hunter gently. "I've been where he is, and I've been where you are. The world isn't fair, and sometimes it puts ideas into our heads that aren't true. But you'll be okay. You both will be."

"Why didn't you tell me something was wrong, Oli?" cried Harper.

"Because I knew this would happen, okay?!" snapped Oliver. "Damn it, all I wanted was for people to stop worrying about me and all that's happened is there's someone at my bedside every five minutes to make sure I'm not drowning myself in my glass of water! Do you think I want to die?! No!"

"Oli, calm down-" Spencer tried to say, and Oliver just laughed without humour.

"Oh, you're one to talk, Hayes-Lockhart! With your- your stupid selflessness and your tragic backstory- I know I'm not you, so f*ck off!"

"Language, Oliver!" snapped Harper through her tears.

"Oli, you know I would never-"

"You just prance around all happy-go-lucky because of your money and your nice big house and your big family, don't you! You think you have it so great but you can't just live with that, you have to be some traumatised hero! Are you bored because you don't get any f*cking attention?!"

"You asshole!" yelled Spencer. "Here I was thinking you actually cared about me, about any of us in this goddamn room, and you're just a selfish bastard who couldn't control his own f*cking problems, and so you push them onto all of us instead!"

"Spencer Lark Hayes-Lockhart, watch your tongue!"

"Is that so?!" yelled Oliver. "You- you think you're so great, don't you?! So noble, such a heartwrenching hero. You didn't save my life, you ruined the rest of mine and everyone elses', too!"

"I saved you because I thought you were worth it! I guess I was wrong, that's not my fault, not my damn fault that you're so manipulative!"

"How dare you?!"

"ENOUGH!" thundered Hunter, and both boys fell silent, panting. They were glaring at each other, and Spencer had never felt such pure, unadulterated rage pumping through his veins. He was trembling. "Spencer, out. Now. I'll deal with you later. Harper, you need water. Ryan is outside with Drew, go to her and tell her you need rest. Oliver, I want to speak to you."

"What if I don't want to speak with you?"

"Oliver, you treat your elders with respect," said Harper through her tears. "I... I can't... I can't do this anymore..." She stood up and left the room, still wiping her eyes aggressively, and Oliver glared at Spencer.

"The f*ck do you want? Piss off."

"I'm not leaving."

"Spencer, you're leaving and that's final." Hunter was firm but gentle.

"No."

"Nobody wants you here. I told you to piss off, you f*cking virgin."

Spencer went red and scoffed angrily. "Like- like you're one to talk anyway," he spat out, before leaving the hospital room, the soles of his shoes making much more noise than necessary for dramatic effect.