Chapter 8

"Hi, handsome. Why are you speaking with this freak? Come with us. She's just as stupid as a stone."

Kayla. The 'queen' of the school. Everyone loves her and treates her like a queen because of her good looks, even if she was rude and quite frankly stupid. I took that opportunity and left before she could say something to me. I knew she would be more focused on Drake instead. I hurried to the next class, Biology ,and tried not to make up bad scenarios in my head, but every one of them that I imagined was bad. She could make something up and tell Troy and I'd be done for. The teacher gave us a test to work on and after I finished it, or at least what I knew of it, I took out my book and started to read, keeping my mind busy, but I couldn't focus on the words, even if I read them multiple times. After 2 more hours, it was lunch time. I went straight to the library to be alone, trying to avoid Drake as much as I could and prevent more compromising situations. I found my table and opened my book again. The library was always empty at this time. Everybody was outside or in the canteen. Or so I thought.

"Hey." I heard him again. I jumped startled, not expecting it. I thought I was the only one there "Are you always with a book in your hand?" he continued,but I just stood there quietly, hoping he would just leave me alone. "Why are you so quiet?" 

"Leave me alone! What is your point anyway?" I burst out like a 10 year old and he just stood there taken aback. But what else could I've done? I needed to make him go away. I guess he didn't expect that. "You have an entire school to choose from. Kayla is a good start. " and you'll leave me alone.

"What are you talking about? Is it because of that girl?" He asked coming closer. 'Please do not come closer! I repeat: do not come closer.'  I wanted to shout, but I knew I couldn't. It would make him want to talk to me even more. Because what boy doesn't like a chase?. He was putting me in a position I didn't want to be in. Anyone could see us and tell Troy.

"No." I closed my book, getting frustrated, and looked at him. "It is because of me. Yes, I am always alone because I love that. And yes, I'm always reading because I like it. If you stay with me, everyone will think you're a weirdo or something. Please go back to Kayla and be cool.'' I said and waved in front of me to emphasise the word. ''Like her and her gang of minions." I rolled my eyes and took a big breath. It was the first time in a very long time I've talked so much and I didn't like that. He was annoying.

"Hold on! I didn't say I don't like the fact that you read. It makes you special and smart. I don't have a problem if you want to keep to yourself and not seek attention like a lost puppy. And about the popularity thing, I assure you I do not care about that. I have no intention in becoming a part of a group where I'd be one of the minions" I let out a chuckle. He even made air quotes when he said 'minions'. He just met me a few hours ago for God's sake. He is a fool if he thinks he can do whatever he pleases. And in the process of realising that he can't, he'll destroy me. He dropped his bag and took a sit opposite of me. Just then I noticed the biology book in his hand, but I ignored it and started reading again, pretending  he wasn't there. He was quiet the entire time and I actually forgot about him for a few moments.

When the bell rang, signalling the end of the break, I let out a breath and got up, meanwhile taking my bag.  I completely ignored him and  left. I didn't want to be rude to him. I secretly appreciated his company. I didn't want to wait for him and get engaged in an awkward conversation tho. It was enough for me for one day.

The last periods passed quickly and it was time to go home. On the way home, I kept feeling like I was being watched, but as I looked around, I realised I wasn't. There was nobody besides some people minding their business, a few cars, the empty road and the edge of the forest. I looked deeper into the forest, searching for any sign that I was being followed, but I found none so I continued to walk.

Neither Troy, nor my parents were home, so I could be at peace for a while. I made dinner for when they'd come back and cleaned the kitchen, then took a shower, ready to do my homework.  After I finished it, I thought of taking a walk, but they would most likely get angry with me if I wasn't home when they arrived and I didn't know what hour they would get home at. On the other hand, they probably wouldn't even acknowledge my absence. It wasn't worth risking tho, so I climbed in my bed and started reading.

I woke up in the middle of the night, shaking and unable to breath. I knew it was a panic attack and I knew I couldn't stay in my room. The walls were closing on me and my heart was almost breaking thorough my chest. I left my room quietly and went out. I used the back door and seated myself on the grass. I took big breaths, trying to calm down. My hands were shaking wildly and I was starting to feel like I couldn't move anymore. I looked at the stars, listening to the sound of the wind through the leafs, then I looked at the forest, admiring the darkness it was consumed by.

I suddenly heard movement and my entire body froze. Because of the clear silence of the night, small sounds appeared to be louder. It couldn't be my imagination. 

And saw a pair of bright yellow dots.

 in that moment, my soul left my body. In my current state, I couldn't comprehend the fact that it was probably just the wolf. My breathing came irregular, almost stopping, and I lost control of my body. It was like I was on autopilot. The yellow dots came closer, revealing what seems to be, indeed, a wolf. But it's fur was black, no trace of any other color. It looked at me strangely, bending his big head a little to the right, then took a few steps closer. I just stood there. I think I even stopped breathing at one point. When the wolf was just 12 feet or so in front of me, I took back control of my body and with lightening speed, I jumped on my feet and ran into the house. I was too afraid to look outside, fearing he came to the door, so I went to my room. I closed the door and held onto it until I regained my breath. I walked to the window and looked through it from the side, so whatever was outside couldn't see me. But the wolf was not there anymore. I collapsed on the ground, my breathing getting caught in my throat again. I couldn't breath. My last thought before I lost consciousness was 'it had black fur'.