Chapter 7

Hearing the damn alarm I cursed under my breath. Even if I haven't moved yet, my body was already on fire and I knew it was going to be hard to move. I could still feel every blow I've received. It was indeed hard to move, but after moving around and getting dressed, making breakfast and walking to school, the pain subsided a little. But I still had to move slower than usually and control my breathing. The day passed in a blur and all I've heard the entire day were rumours about the new kid. How hot he was, how all the girls made a move on him and what not. It was so predictable.

Walking home after school, I thought about a way to still see the wolf. I didn't want to give my father another reason to beat me up. I made a few plans, but they weren't good enough, so I decided to stay home for tonight and see him tomorrow.  I decided I would go and sit with him for just a few minutes, then go back inside. Even if it was for just a short period of time, I wanted to see him. With that thought in mind, I dropped my bag at the entrance as soon as I stepped inside and went to prepare lunch, then went straight to my room and continued my book until I fell asleep. 

The next day passed like the day before and when the time came, I stepped outside of my room, then outside on the house, making my way towards the forest. I sat on the log again and waited. After a few minutes, I saw the shape of grey fur running in the distance. I hurried to sat up, but fell back when a piercing pain struck me. I took a couple of breaths and waited for it to decrease, then  tried again and succeeded. I walked towards him when he stopped near me and I seated myself on the ground. He looked down at me for a few seconds, then collapsed next to me.

''I'm sorry I didn't show up yesterday. I, uhm...'' I immediately thought about making an excuse about it, like I always did, saying I had some personal business to attend to, but again. The wolf couldn't understand me so it was no use. ''My father wasn't so pleased about my missing yesterday and made sure I won't be able to walk like a normal human being for some time. '' I chuckled humorlessly. ''Or breath for that matter.'' He whined and placed his head on my thigh. After a couple of minutes, I knew I had to return, so I lifted his head off my thigh. He looked at me curious, as if to ask me what I was doing. I shook my head slowly. I was losing my mind thinking that the wolf was communicating with me. I got up and dusted my pants, grabbing a handful of leaves to give the impression that I just took a walk to collect some. 

''I have to go. I don't want another beating.'' I closed my eyes and shook my head thinking the damage it could cause to my already bruised body. ''But I will come again the day after tomorrow, should you be here. If not, then it's okay. It was fun befriending a wolf.'' I smiled and chuckled. Befriending a wolf. Sure. Looking at him one more time, I turned around and walked home. My father bought my excuse, or didn't care enough to punish me again.

Two weeks passed faster than I expected. The new guy was still the talk of the school, I kept my promise to the wolf and went to see him again, then kept seeing him once in three days. I was glad my father left me off the hook. He, Harper and Troy left me alone, speaking to me only to tell me what to cook for them or saying jokes about me. I finished the books and returned them, picking three more, two romances and one adventure.

Monday morning came again and I woke up fresh. My ribs didn't hurt so much anymore and I was glad. Walking towards the school, I kept looking at the sky, analysing the shapes of the clouds and listening to the passing cars. A few more months and I would be free from the beatings, the mockings and the constant fear of making a mistake. I had a Math test that I knew I would easily pass so I didn't give it much thought.

Lunch break came and I found myself against my locker, engrossed in one of the romances. It was a cliche story, but I didn't really mind. The writing was spectacular even if the main story wasn't my type.

"Hi." I suddenly heard someone. It sounded pretty close, but I didn't give it much thought. I knew it wasn't meant for me since nobody in the school wanted to be associated with 'the freak'.

"Are you so caught in that book?" at that I looked up, just to make sure if that question wasn't directed to me and much to my surprise, in front of me was the new guy. Realising I was looking at him in a very uncomfortable position, he squatted, so I wouldn't have to break my neck looking so high. But then, I saw green eyes. The boy was tall and handsome, with light brown hair and a small smile on his face. His eyes were a deep shade green. His jaw line sharp and collar bone well defined, mostly covered by his white loose shirt. He was smiling, still waiting for my answer.

"Ermm...Are you talking to me?" I asked awkwardly with my right eyebrow raised, pointing a finger at myself. I knew I probably looked like a moron, but I couldn't care less. When he saw my confused look, his smile dropped and he nodded. I looked around, seeing the empty hallway and closed my book. I needed to get out of there before someone would see us. They would twist the story, like always and say I was flirting with him or something like that. And if Troy would hear it, he would believe it and tell dad and hell would break loose. Again. I couldn't allow that with so little time left before I could get away from this life.

"Do you see anyone near you with a book?" he said with his deep voice. I looked around again, making sure nobody was in the hallway. I looked at his feet and shook my head. I knew ignoring him would change nothing, so I had to come up with a reason to leave as soon as possible.

"So...that means I'm speaking with you" No shit Sherlock. My heartbeats were increasing, the fear of getting caught engulfing my entire being. Why was he speaking with me anyways? And why after two weeks of his arrival at this school? Hasn't he learned who was and what a shame would be for him to be seen talking to me?

"Do you need something?" I asked politely, with my voice low, hoping he would just go away and spare me.

"No." And why the hell are you talking to me then? I just stood there in silence. I didn't know what to say, so, I waited and rummaged my brain for a good reason to leave.

"I'm Drake." Aand? Why should I care? You won't be speaking with me tomorrow anyway. And if somebody sees us, you'll be the reason I'll probably end up in hospital. I must have zone out for a little because he added "And your name is..."

"None of your business." I said quickly, shaking my head. I got up, looking around again to make sure we were still alone.

"I told you mine. And I want to know yours." he barked back. I flinched back a little because of his tone, but I didn't know what to say. I needed to get out of there and if I couldn't find a good reason, I could always just turn around and run as far possible as I could, like a coward. And that was exactly what I was going to do.

Looking towards the exist door, I prepared to run, but then I suddenly heard "Hi, handsome. Why are you speaking with this freak? Come with us. She's just as stupid as a stone." I froze in my spot. I thought we were alone.