Deck the Halls: Don Our Gay (and Straight) Apparel

A/N: A short Christmas oneshot with a bit of Kaiya and Eugene fluff! Set before book one. 

***

"It's not straight, Yoojin."

Eugene puffed out her cheeks as she wrapped the lights around her wrist and adjusted the hook on the wall for the fifth time. Wouldn't be Christmas decorating if Mom didn't insist on everything being not crooked.

"Is it straight now?"

"Just up a little further...not that far!"

Eugene's cheeks were about to burst from how hard she was trying to restrain herself. Glad that Mom couldn't see the look on her face, she slid the hook down.

"No, not that far down!"

Eugene slid down the wall, turning around to face Mom with a wide smile. "You know what? Clearly, you're the expert, so I'll just leave it to you."

"You'd better wipe that grin off your face--"

"No, I'm serious, I'll just float you up there--" The grin slid off Eugene's face as Mom glared into her soul. "Okay, okay, I'm sorry, I take that back. I take it back!"

Mom crossed her arms. "That's what I thought."

"But jokes aside, you'll just have to accept crooked lights because I really can't get them to stay straight. And it looks straight to me!"

"It's not that hard," Mom insisted. "Straight is straight."

A clever thought crossed Eugene's mind and she felt quite pleased with herself as she said, "Well, I can't make it straight....'cause I'm gay!"

Mom heaved a sigh, her gaze traveling up to the ceiling. "Yoojin, if you make another bad gay joke today, I'm gonna purposely replace the baking powder in the cookie recipe with baking soda and make you eat the whole batch."

"Moooooom," Eugene whined. "That's homophobic!"

Mom looked at Eugene; then down at the bisexual Christmas sweater she was wearing; then at the gay pride flag hanging in their kitchen, and then back at Eugene.

"Yup, you're getting double-baking-soda cookies."

"No! Those tasted disgusting!"