Chapter one

I watch as my breath mists in front of me. The ice cold air pierces my skin and I close my eyes against the wind. I walk down the abandoned road, kicking gravel with my feet. It's lonely. I'm lonely.

It all started six months ago. Some old fella named Brad died and decided that he wanted to stay in this world a little longer. Long story short; everyone in the hospital turned or was eaten. I remember watching the news, people screaming and running around in the background. Churches filled and thousands died. Some people thought it was a joke and didn't take any precautions. They're dead now. Or... mostly dead.

If you don't get what I'm saying yet, I guess you've never read or watched a story similar to this before. People, back in the days, used to call this a "zombie apocalypse." I just like to call it "The End." Because that's what it is. The End. The only way for this to be solved, is if there is if someone invents a cure (very, very unlikely), if all the "zombies" are killed... or re-killed, or if everyone turns. I think the last one on the list is the most likely to happen. Let's face it.

That's a small part of the story, but you don't need to know anymore, considering you've probably read something about this in your childhood or watched a TV show. But this is real.

My story is unimportant. I got separated from my family at the start, found a group, they all died, now I'm alone and starving. You could never know how long six months is. What is important is what I'm going to do next. Because, if you want the truth, I don't have a clue what I'm going to do next. If I'm going to do anything at all.

Here I am. Walking down a lonely road, all alone, questioning everything in this universe. I have no idea where I am but I last remember being in Chicago three days ago. Not much there... a few supplies, a pistol, a couple face-eating dead people taking a morning stroll. The usual.

I approach a tree that randomly appeared on the edge of the street and pull out my small pocket knife. This I stole from my father's shed when I was thirteen to protect myself from robbers - the blade wasn't used for stabbing robbers as much as it was used for stabbing dead people's brains. I hate killing the zombies, but it has to be done. I push the blade up and carefully place it on the tree. Just as I'm about to press down I hear a scream. I jump behind my tree and peer around. Of course I see nothing because the scream had to be at least 300 meters away.

I contemplate going towards the scream to see what's up but I decide against it. No point. I start walking in the opposite direction from the scream when another tears through the air. This one's different. This one is obviously a young child, a scream filled with horror, as if the person's innocence has been taken from them. Which is true.

I turn around and jog towards where the noises came from. I have nothing to lose, I think to myself as I run to my soon-to-have-a-zombie-eat-the-life-out-of-me death. I run until I see a woman and a girl that looks about eight sprinting from a herd -I've taken to calling them a herd- of zombies. There has to be at least 11 dead guys chasing them.

I watch as the young girl starts to fall behind because her legs can't keep up anymore.

"Mama!" she cries. "Mama, wait for me!"

The woman turns around and stops before the girl, the zombies slowly gaining ground. "Get on my back," the woman orders. The girl does as told. They take off again. Zombies stumbling after them making that creepy jaw-snapping noise that they do.

I stand behind a tree and watch as the woman and child run further and further, slowly losing the zombies. I watch as the woman trips on a rock -didn't she ever watch any movies?! You have to look out for the rocks! - she stumbles for a bit before falling over completely, the girl screaming and sliding off her back. I watch as the woman jumps to her feet and in her haste to get away, steps on the girl's ankle. I watched as the girl shrieks in pain, grabbing her ankle.

"Mama!" The girl sobs. "Mama! My ankle hurts!"

I watch as the zombies get closer and closer to the two, moaning like they've just spotted their favourite cake at a bakery. I watch as the woman attempts to get the girl on her back again, but fails. I watch as the woman stands up and faces her daughter. I watch as she turns around and runs. I watch as her daughter cries out after her mother, crawling to get away from the zombies. The zombies have reached the girl and grab her ankles. The girl howls as the zombies grip her broken ankle, pulling her towards them. I watch as a zombie clamps their jaw on the girl's shin, earning yet another scream. I watch as the zombies tear the girl apart.

I watch as the girl bleeds to death calling for her mama.

A/N--
This is a weird story because it's based off a few of my friends (and myself.... Do you know how weird it is writing yourself from third person? SUPER WEIRD) and anyways these girlies are beautiful and I love them and it's fun to put my own twist on their personalities :)

Anyways if anyone reads this I'll be happy :D

So... Have a good day :)x