But her gaze was not meeting his. It was fixated in a fixed point right in front of her, unblinking at the moment.

"Will definitely do next time. Sorry about that," her smooth, cool voice penetrated his senses, her pearly whites almost blinding him.

"Kaycee!" the lady behind the counter was now behind the girl, holding her by the shoulders. "Are you okay? Where's your probing cane?" she asked, then glaring at Sean before leading the girl into one of the tables away from them.

The girl giggled as she held on to the older's hand. "It snapped on my way here. It's a matter of time, really. Feeling my way to the door was a breeze," she said proudly before chuckling.

"Where's Kino?"

"Kylie's bringing her to the vet," she said, her eyes still focused right in front of her.

Then Sean's heart plunged deep into his stomach in realization.

She's fucking blind.

His throat dried as he stared after her, totally side-blinded by her smile while guilt flooded his stomach.

"You're such a jerk," Julian said, arms crossed, from where he was seated.

Sean could only just glare at him before storming out of the diner.

*****

The intervention came one morning in the form of an incessant knocking on his door.

Sean was about to declare war as he wrenched it open, only to be surprised at the presence of his older sister on his threshold. His jaw clenched, heaving a deep breath as he felt the back of his eyes burn as he stared back to his sister's wet eyes.

"Sean..." Serris breathed, engulfing her brother in a hug, but he just stood still, rigid as a board.

"What are you doing here?" he said, his tone harsh.

"Julian contacted me. He was so worried about you, Sean. I am worried," she said as she parted from him, holding him at arms' length.

But he could only laugh sarcastically. "You? Worried? Give me a fucking break," he rolled his eyes as he turned away from her but Serris followed him inside, eyes widening at the state of his house. Then she turned to him again.

"How many times have we talked about this? I have to stay with the family, Sean! How else can I help you if they disown me, too?"

"I was fine by myself, thanks," he responded dryly as he sat on his couch. "The black sheep is surviving. I don't need your help."

"'Was'," she pointed out. "You were fine. Until you gambled all your money and practically ruined your life –"

She almost staggered back as Sean went on his feet, towering over her. "Dad fucking ruined my life way before this shit happened!" he spat, proving a point. His lip trembled as he sucked in a breath. "Y-Yes. I made a mistake. It was all that is –a gamble. I became greedy because I didn't want to starve again. I don't want to go back to those years. And y-yes, I was a fucking idiot that I lost my girlfriend, and you have no fucking idea how I'm carrying the guilt and pain every day..."

His eyes melted into tears as his sister started crying silently, too. "Don't you understand, Serris? I just want to fucking die. Just let me be," he said in a whisper, turning away as he leaned on the table, head down low as he took deep, calming breaths.

Serris hesitantly hugged her brother from the back as she cried with him. If she had the power, then she could make it better. At that moment, she could only be there for him.