Training for Bankai

Days have come and gone and I'm still in the cell barracks of Squad 3. And nothing has changed since I arrived. I'm not allowed out of the cell. I'm not allowed to see Rukia, with or without someone with me. I'm not allowed to do anything.

So I slept most of the time that I was in the cell. Or I tried to talk to Anri while meditating.

"Should I start training you?"

I heard someone familiar say as I woke up. I looked around to see that I was in my inner world and before me stands Anri. Anri's appearance used to shock me whenever I would visit my inner world, but I soon got used to it once I achieved to release his shikai.

"What do you mean start training me? I don't have you with me. Remember? I'm currently being held in Squad 3 cell barracks."

"I know where we currently are, being that I'm a part of you. What I mean, is should I start training you to achieve bankai."

"Bankai? You are going to train me for bankai? What made you think like that? Also, how are you going to train me if I don't have you with me? "

"I plan to train you because you're weak." Anri said, ignoring my other question.

"Excuse me?"

"I said, Mitsuki Kurosaki, you're weak. I've been trying to tell you but you've been blocking me out ever since we were in the World of the Living."

"I don't know who you think you may be, but just to let you know, I'm not weak."

"Then how do you explain yourself. You're being held in a cell with anti-spiritual pressure cuffs on your wrists. And you claim to not be weak? I beg to differ, Mitsuki."

"It's not my fault that Aizen and Ichimaru suppressed their spiritual pressures. Also, if you hadn't noticed, YOU HAVEN'T TALKED TO ME IN THE PAST WEEK OR SO! So it's not my fault that I was put in here. If you had spoken up, maybe I wouldn't be in here."

"I was talking to you! For some reason, you couldn't hear me! Don't take it out on me!"

"Anri, I have every right to take everything out on you because it's all your fault."

"So you're saying that you don't want to learn bankai? Because you don't trust me or something like that?"

"I do want to learn bankai, but if this whole 'I'm not talking to you' act is going to continue...I might as well not learn it."

"Well then, what do you want to do? Because it seems to me that you're blocking me from talking to you when you're not in here."

"What do you mean I'm blocking you?"

"Ever since you went back to the World of the Living and found Ichigo, you unknowingly made some sort of wall that stopped us from talking to each other outside of your inner world." Anri stepped closer to me. Once he stood right in front of me, he put his gloved hand on my waist with the other gripping my chin making me look up at him. His long black hair flowing in the nonexistent wind with his black soulless eyes staring into mine and a smirk on his face. "Now why is that? Why do I have to force you into your inner world just to talk to you?" He let go and walked away. "Learning my bankai will take you approximately one week, but since you're in quite a hurry I guess I could shorten it to three to four days." He looked at me with the smirk still on his face. "So? What do you say? Wanna learn bankai?"

"What is up with you? First I learn shikai as soon as I retrieved you in the Shinigami Academy, and now three years later, you're going to teach me bankai?"

"You're not a normal shinigami, Mitsuki. Just like I'm not a normal zanpakuto. Yes, you died, and a shinigami brought you to the Soul Society, but in your soul, there's something else. Almost as if you were already part shinigami from the point you were born."

"So you're saying that I'm half shinigami and half human?"

"Exactly. Did your parents ever tell you about their pasts when you were younger?"

I crossed my arms and averted my eyes to the side and said, "My mother did. Well, some-what did. She used to tell me so little of her past. Dad would always avoid the question. That, or he'll lie about it. He never was a good liar now that I think about it."

"So? Bankai or no?"

I walked over to Anri with my arms still crossed and say, "Teach me bankai."

His grin widened as he said, "With pleasure, Mitsuki Kurosaki."

The next thing that happens, is everything gets sucked up in darkness. Where not even light could be seen. When the darkness went away making everything visible once again, I saw weapon upon weapon all over the place.

"In a way I am similar to your brother's zanpakuto, Zangetsu. Which means, we have a similar way of training our master to achieve our bankai. Our only differences are  our bankai names and our weapons, everything else is similar." He turned towards me and continued. "If you can find the real zanpakuto, then you will continue with bankai."

"Sounds easy enough."

"That's not all you have to do, Mitsuki. While trying to find the real Anri, you have to avoid being attacked by me."

"Then how am I supposed to know which one the real zanpakuto is!?"

"The one that's real, shouldn't be the one that breaks. As you can see, there are all sorts of weapons here, from scythes to swords to bows and arrows. The minimum amount of time that I give you to learn my bankai is three days. If training lasts more than a week, you will die. Either by me, or by the Soul Society. The only time we will stop is to let you sleep."

"When do we start?"

"Now," he says as he grabs a random weapon from the ground and moves towards me at an inhuman speed. But before he attacks me, I grab a scythe and block his attack. "Quick thinking with the scythe, but that's not good enough."

Throughout the entire time of training, I went from weapon to weapon trying to find the real zanpakuto. But everything I grabbed and attempted to fight with, all turned to dust after being broken. Sooner than later, training was done for the day and I left my inner world.

Everyday Anri and I did the same thing, we fought while I looked for the zanpakuto. But on the forth day of bankai training, I felt a connection while running. I didn't know which weapon it actually was, but when I picked it up and blocked Anri's attack once again, the sword that he held broke in two.

Shock was the only thing that I could find on Anri's face as realization hit him like a brick.

"Congratulations, Mitsuki Kurosaki. You've found my real form as a zanpakuto. Now, all you need to know, is my name."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, yeah.  I updated. And I was a little lazy with not reading the manga so I just made a chapter. You'll figure out what her bankai is soon, but not right now.

See you in the next chapter!

~ファントム