Chapter 8

I got back to my room late that night. Damien was reading and lounging in the bed. I sighed and sat on the bed next to him. His eyes showed happiness upon seeing me.
"I want to meet Emily." I told him.
He was quiet for a long time. He stared straight ahead and I feared he was upset with me or with Sarraphine for telling me. Finally, after many moments, he did speak.
"Very well." He said softly.
I was surprised that he said yes so easily. I was ready to have to do some convincing.
    "But not tonight. It's late. You should rest." He said softly.
    "How about first thing tomorrow morning?" I asked him.
    "Sure." He said, seeming distracted.
    Before I could ask if I had upset him, he stood slowly and touched my arm.
I saw love in his eyes and at that moment his heart glowed bright while mine seemed to get a softer shade of gray. I felt myself feeling for this... man. Not love but just feeling softly that he lost so much. His eyes smiled softly and he left the room, the door clicking softly behind him.
     I sighed and sat on the bed. I thought about going to follow him, but refrained. Maybe he needed space for a few moments. I lay down on the bed and looked at the ceiling until a blissful sleep fell over me.
I woke up the next morning to see Damien sitting in the loveseat across the room, reading the novel I snatched from the library during one of my walks.
"A fine choice, my love." He said softly.
I expected him to say it was corny, considering this predicament. Or that Romeo and Juliet was just too over read in society. But then I remembered, society up there can't be the same as down here.
"I expected you to say it was corny, or overrated, something like that." I said, getting out of bed.
"Not at all. I've actually never read it." He said.
I was even more surprised at this. Everyone I knew on earth had read this book. But I, once again, remind myself that this is not earth.
"Really? But everyone I ever knew had read it. My mother read it to me when I started high school." I said, sitting beside him.
"My duties often get in the way of so called down time." He chuckled softly.
The sound of the old page turning made me want to smile. I always loved the sound of an old page of an old book, or the smell, or the dust flying off of it.
"Well maybe we could read together on some nights. It could be late if it needed to be." I offered.
"I don't know, I never learned how to read above the basics, honestly. I still stutter like a young school boy." He said.
If he were human, he would have looked down and blushed in embarrassment.
"That's alright. I could always help you. How about we start with this on another day?" I asked, taking the book gently.
He looked me in the eye and a smile was in his eyes. I felt a small warmth in my gray heart but chose not to think too much into it.
"We should get ready to go." He said, standing.
I realized I was still in my night clothes and nodded in agreement. He put his hand out to help me off the couch. He did not let go of my hand immediately and I did not resist. He let go slowly and walked to the door.
"I'll wait in the dining room." He said.
I nodded.
Once I was showered and dressed, I made my way to the dining room. The castle was massive and I was surprised I had not got lost just going to the dining room. The wandering I did was a good idea it seems.
On my way, a guard approached me.
"Hello, Madam. I assume you're ready for your classes?" He asked.
     I blinked a few times, trying to understand what he was saying.
     "My classes?" I asked, confused.
    "Not today, Arostu. Today we'll be taking a walk through the spirit lands." I heard behind me.
    Damien's steady footsteps fell quietly as he approached us.
    "Of course, sire. My apologies." He said sincerely.
    Damien took my hand and lead me out of the castle.
    "I have to take classes?" I asked.
    "Yes, classes on proper manners, proper dressing, things to do when you become queen." He explained.
    We went down a steep path and he put his hand out to help me. I took it and carefully made my way down beside him. We walked in silence for the most part, a peaceful silence. I was disappointed by the dark as we got further and further from the castle. I guess that's to be expected though.
      "How much further?" I asked him.
      "Ten minutes, maybe." He answered.
      I sighed.
     "Why does the castle have guards? I mean, we're all already dead." I asked.
     Damien chuckled.
    "There are other things in the castle that need to be protected inside the castle from evil spirits and corpses that lurk." He answered.
     I never thought about any evil spirits or anything. I suddenly got an eerie feeling and scooted a bit closer to Damien.
     I wanted to ask more but a glowing blue caught my attention. Damien pulled a bush apart and stood to the side so I could step through. There, in the blue light, was a beautiful young woman dancing in circles. Not a care in the world.
     "Hello, my love." She giggled.
     Damien sighed and his eyes smiled slightly. But his smile held guilt and sadness too. He took my hand and brought me up close to the blue light surrounding her house and some lawn.
      "Hello, Emily." He greeted softly.
She spun around, her long blonde hair swinging with her. She spotted me and smiled.
"Have you brought me a friend, Damien?" She asked.
"No, Emily. This is my destined, Amanda." He said softly.
     She stopped spinning and walked up to the blue light, like it was glass she couldn't get through. Her long legs, even as a spirit, were tan and perfect as they came out from under a short flowing dress. She looked closely at me, with curiosity in her green eyes.  Then, suddenly, she smiled. She smiled so big that her pearly whites nearly blinded me.
     "Hello." She said.
     "Hello." I replied, not being able to help the smile in my eyes.
     "I hope we can get to know each other." She giggled.
     Her laugh echoed in the way a spirit's would and for some reason, I loved it.
     "Damien, why don't you take the blue light down? So we can meet properly?" She asked, almost pleadingly.
     "You know I can't do that, Emily." He said with so much guilt.
     She looked down and sighed. She looked back at me and smiled slightly. She stood up and went in the house that was inside the blue light with her.
     Damien put his hand out to help me up and suggested we turn back.
     "Damien, what is that blue light?" I asked.
     This was the first time I had seen it.
     "It's a light my father put around Emily. A light that not even a royal can get through." He said, his voice getting thick with emotion.
     We walked slowly, hand in hand, and I waited for him to finish.
     "He did it so that Emily and I could not touch. He figured we would lose interest not being able to be close enough. But for a long time, I went to see her everyday. Maybe it was the guilt. But I made sure to see her everyday in the morning before my father woke up. I sat in front of her, that damn blue light obscuring my view of her. My father said it was for my own good, for when I found my destined. He said it was for her own good as well, not being able to truly be with a man she could never have." He sighed.
       "I'm sorry all that happened, Damien." I said softly.
      He was silent for a few long moments and the only sound was our feet crunching on the dead grass.
      "It was my own fault, truly. I was young and foolish. And I cost a young woman her life far too soon." He said solemnly.
      After that, we walked back to the castle in silence and suddenly, I felt that warmth in my chest again. And once again, I chose to ignore it.