Chapter Ten

Dear Seamus,

You're a git.....No that's not what I wanted to tell you. I don't really know how to say this, well, I've been re-diagnosed with stomach cancer. Yes, I had it before, when I was five, they thought it was gone completely but it wasn't. It's back. I'm so so sorry.

Love,

Kit

I felt the tears well up in my eyes and I closed them. I took a deep breath to steady myself before I folded the parchment and put it in the envelope, holding it tightly in my hands. I was scared for how they were going to react to this. I didn't want anyone to see me differently. I felt a tear slip down my face and I hurriedly wiped it away before pulling out a fresh piece of parchment.

Dear Dean,

Tell Seamus he's a git. But what I wanted to tell you is I've been re-diagnosed with stomach cancer. I had it once before when I was younger. They aren't sure why it came back because it wasn't suppose to. But I'm so very sorry, see you when I get back.

Love,

Kit

I once again folded the letter and placed it inside the envelope before sealing both and handing them to Errol, watching him fly off into the night sky. It all seemed to be changing now, everything seemed to be taking a new form in life. I glanced at the scissors on my desk, picking them up swiftly and glancing t the clock on my wall. it read 12:03. I quietly made my way down to the bathroom and soundlessly closed the door before flipping the light on. My hair was long enough to brush my hips, I split it evenly and hung a half over either shoulder. I picked up the left half and with one swift, even motion I cut it off. The left side now hung just below my jawline.

I repeated the process with the right side and took a few moments to even out everything before setting the scissors down, and with a wave of my hand I allowed the hair to disappear. Now the tears began to flow again, I let them this time. I had made the promise I would never cut my hair short again after my last battle, but here I was. I wiped my eyes and looked in the mirror, for a fleeting moment I saw my mother, I blinked and it was only myself. I noticed my hair had began to take a red tint to it and I smiled slightly through the tears.

I quietly made my way up to bed and crawled under the covers. As soon as my head hit the pillow my eyes began to get heavy and I fell asleep. I didn't dream at all, but it was still peaceful.

      The next morning I awoke to the sound of clattering in the kitchen down below. I sat up in bed and went to run my fingers through my hair before remembering the acts of the night before I stopped myself. I slowly lifted myself out of my bed and slipped on a jumper before making my way downstairs. I slowly walked into the kitchen. "Hey Ki-," Ginny dripped her spoon with a clatter and let out a gasp. Mom turned around and squealed a bit, dropping the stack of plates she had. I quickly stuck my hand out before the plates hit the ground, levitating them back to the counter.

     Dad walked in behind me and I whirled around. He stopped in his tracks, "....Kit!" He gasped out. I looked around at everyone and then at the ground. "I-I-I'm sorry." I whispered. Mom rushes over and took my face in her hands and brought my eyes to hers. "Darling there is nothing to be sorry for, you are still beautiful, and don't worry sweetie, they won't see you any differently than they do now if they are your true friends. You know we won't." I felt the tears began to well up and I couldn't stop them. They slid down my face and onto my moms hands. 

      "You look so much like Lily, especially with your hair cut like this." I rose an eyebrow in confusion, every photo I had ever seen of my mother she had long red hair that was absolutely beautiful. "When your mother got pregnant with you and Harry, she cut her hair short. The night she found out she apparated herself here and told me the whole story through tears. She asked me if I would cut it because she was in a sense of denial, I did. She was so shocked afterwards but she still looked absolutely stunning. Just like you." She answered my confusion with a calm voice

       So that's how it went, it took a few days but I eventually got used to the fact that I now had short hair.  I'd catch myself running my hands through my hair only to find there wasn't as much there now.  Ginny would constantly remind me I was going to shock the boys when I came back from break. I couldn't help but smile to myself every time she said it, as once Dean had told me he could never see me with short hair. I was nervous but excited to go back and show the boys how I'd changed.  Another thing I had begun to notice was my hair seemed to be gaining more and more of a red tint by the day. 

        The last week of break came and went. Next thing I knew I was running through the barrier at Kings Cross Station. As soon as my eyes landed on the train I turned around to look at my parents. They were right behind me, smiling comfortingly at me. My dad came up and placed his hand on my shoulder, giving it a squeeze he said "Go ahead sweetie, It'll be okay." I hugged both of my parents before  slowly making my way to the train, my trunk dragging behind me with Aspens cage perched on top. I hopped up on the train and began to search the compartments for my best friends. "SEAMUS YOU BLOODY LIT-ARRGH." I was tackled over and I hit the ground with a loud thud. 

   I could hear Aspen going wild in his cage. I groaned and looked at the person lying on top of me. "Dean!" I looked around more and discovered Seamus standing off to the side as well. "Kit?" Dean asked standing up and helping me up as well. "Your.... Your hair!"  Seamus stuttered out. I lowered my head, refusing to meet the boy's eyes. I could her Dean hit Seamus and tell him off. "Kit," Deans voice directed itself towards me, it was soft. "Don't worry, we aren't going to see you an different because of this. We promise. We will be here with you every step of the way." I looked at them and they both gave me a reassuring smile. I hugged them both and picked up my trunk and Aspen's cage, who was still going wild within it. 

    We made our way down the train and into an empty compartment. We seated ourselves and began to discuss our holiday breaks. When it came to me telling about my I was slightly hesitant but after getting it out to the boys they were in shock. They asked questions and I answered, hesitantly at points but I did. But the ride to Hogwarts was mostly silent as the three of us seemed to process the new found news.