Chapter Nine

I waved one last time before the three, Charlie, Aitana, and Jack, dissolved into a blur. Little did I know that would be the last I would see Jack. We hit the ground right outside of the house and headed inside. I plopped ,myself down on the couch as dad ignited a flame in the fire place, sending a wave of heat through the cold house. Ginny walked into the living room and sat herself in a chair, groaning. "What's up?" I asked curiously. She shook her head, "Let me guess, after sickness from apparating?" she nodded and wrapped her arms around her stomach. Mom quickly came bustling in, holding a cup of steaming tea, which I assumed had the remedy for Ginny in it.

        Ginny took the cup and began to gulp it down. "Woah!" I laughed, "Slow down there Gin or that remedy and everything else is gonna come shooting back out!" I laughed harder as she glared at me over her cup. I laughed again before stretching out across the couch. I glanced up and smiled before pointing out the window. Ginny looked up at the window and began to grin also, "Snow!" We looked at each other and quickly hopped up from our spotes before dashing upstairs. We threw open the door to our room and began opening our closets and the drawers to our dressers, pulling out jumpers, thick pants, jackets, gloves, hats, and scarves. Once we were all padded up we dashed back downstairs and into the living room where mom stopped us with an inquiring look.

       "Going out to fly?" We smiled at each other, we hadn't thought about that. I looked back to mom and nodded, she gave us an approving smile before allowing us to leave the house. We rushed to the broom shed and threw it open, Ginny grabbed one of the brooms and I grabbed the Nimbus 2000 I had gotten from McGonagall when I had been excepted onto the Gryffindor quidditch team. We both jumped on the brooms, racing each other around the makeshift quidditch pitch. I laughed as the cold wind blew through my hair, surrounding me in a feeling of confidence and security.  I looked over at Ginny, the joy that floated across her face and in the air around her enhanced her natural beauty to a point where it made me feel self-conscious.

        I saw dad come out of the house holding a quaffle from my quidditch set. I swooped down low enough to grab it and headed back up into the air, throwing the quaffle Ginny's way. She caught it with ease and went to throw it back but glanced down and grinned at me. "Wha-" I stopped short as she took a sudden nose dive towards the ground. I grinned and dove after her, about three feet from the ground she tossed the quaffle and curved back up. I caught the ball and managed to backflip out of the dangerous flying position I was in.

      I glared playfully at Ginny before heading straight towards her at top speed. Her face grew increasingly worried as I neared her. Just as I reached a one foot radius I dropped under her and flew to the other side of her where I tossed the ball in the air before speeding off in the other direction. I heard Ginny laugh and call out, "You dirty cheater!" I chuckled a bit as I whirled my broom around to face her.  She chucked the ball down the yard a me and I caught it, nearly falling off my broom in the process. We did this back and forth as we lost track of time. 

        "Girls!" We looked down to see mom waving us in for dinner. We both dropped down and hopped off our brooms, laughing and pushing each other as we made our way into the house. "Go wash up." Mom said tenderly as she pointed us in the direction of the washroom. We obliged and raced into the bathroom, fighting over the sink and getting water everywhere. We heard om's footsteps, I looked at Ginny in fear and then waved my hand, drying everything, just in time too because seconds later our mother peaked her head around the corner. 

     "Hurry up now, or the food will get cold." We nodded and followed her back to the kitchen, sitting down at the table. It felt empty with the absence of my siblings. I had grown up watching each of them leave in turn. First Bill went, then Charlie left before he even graduated,  soon it would be Percy, then Fred and George, followed by me and Ron, and Ginny would bring up the rear, making way for the new generations of Weasley's. I picked my spoon up and took a sip of the soup sitting in front of me.  I felt the warm liquid slide down the back of my throat but suddenly I felt bile instead. 

    I hopped up as quick as possible and ran towards the bathroom, barely making it before diving for the toilet to throw up. I heard a heavy set of footsteps and then a light pair. "Kit? Sweetie? What's wrong?" Mom's voice was echoed in my mind, everything was sliding in and out of focus before it went completely dark. "Arthur get Ginny, we have to go to St. Mungo's!" That was the last thing I heard before I lost all consciousness. 

-------------------24 hours later-----------------

      "Kit, Kit wake up." The voice was strained and panicked. "Please sis, We're falling apart without you." Another voice followed the first.  I felt my eyes flutter open, and I saw the twins sitting there, one on either side of me. Blue eyes rimmed with red, both heads of hair a wreck from hands running through them But relief was visible. "I-I'll go get the nurse." Fred stood up and walked out of the room leaving George with me. "I'm so glad you're okay." His voice cracked. He looked up at the ceiling to keep the tears from falling down "I.." A quivering sigh escaped his throat as he tried to continue. 

        "As much as I want it to be over, I'm afraid it actually is, and not in a good way. I'm terrified it actually is over, I don't- you've been such a big part if my life and as much as you piss me off you're still able to make me smile no matter what." He swallowed hardly. "I don't know what to do or how to feel......All I know is that the end of the day I need to focus on you and what's best for you in the long run." He looked straight ahead at the wall as the tears fell, He shook his head slowly. His voice cracked as he spoke. "........But I really don't want to lose you Kit."  I stopped him before he could continue, "George, what do you mean? What's going on?" 

       "I can answer that." a nurse by the name of Melody Thompson entered the room. She had been the nurse for all of my hospital trips as a child when I was sick. "Kit, I'm so sorry, but it's returned." My heart dropped, "W-what do you mean. It can't be back, they said it would never come back!" When I was five I was diagnosed with stomach cancer, they had removed the tumor and I was told it would never return, but here we were, just six years later, being told it was back again. "Georgie, I don't wanna die." I reached out for him and he quickly but gently sat down in the bed beside me as I buried my face into his chest. I pulled my face out of his shirt and looked around. 

     At this point everyone was here, Charlie, Tana, Bill, Fred, George, Mom, Dad, Ginny. The only ones missing were the ones in Hogwarts. I Thought for a few moments before speaking, "So where do we go from here?" a hint of a smile played on Charlie's lips, I noticed he had earned himself a new scar there. "Where ever we can Kitty cat." I glared at him playfully as he used his childhood nickname on me. Tana cleared her throat and bumped Charlie with her hip, raising her eyebrow at him. 

       His face fell and sorrow filled his eyes. "Ummm, Kit, while on the topic of dying...... It's Jack, He's been killed." my stomach hit the floor. "W-what d-did you just say?" Charlie rushed forward and wrapped his arms around me as I broke down into sobs. My best friend, the kid I had spent months with, the kid I sent a letter to every week, was gone. I never even got to tell him goodbye. "How?" I asked with a steady voice. "Asmar, he accidentally knocked Jack off the side of the ravine and Jack landed wrong, he was killed on impact, there was nothing they could've done." I nodded and took a deep breath to steady my emotions.  I had only seen him a little over twenty four hours ago and now he was gone, just like that. I had bigger things to worry about for now though, mourning would have to wait. My main focus was telling Seamus and Dean what I had just found out.