Dennard sighed in front of her. “Ever since the Hilton Hotel & Resort was built three years ago, hotel booking traffic had been heading there instead of Dalliance or even any other hotels. If you’re looking at it from a tourist’s perspective, would you prefer a brand-new building and rooms or same old Dalliance with the roughly same price rates? The marketing department’s head director and I tried bringing the issue up with your grandfather. Maybe lower the rates or put in construction to the building?”

Gemma nodded taking in his words.

“The Dalliance building in Miami is one of the first buildings ever for this company. It’s quite old compared to the newer ones plus it’s not only competing against other hotel chains, but also local bed & breakfasts.”

She closed her folder and tucked it into the drawer, making a mental note to have an appointment with the marketing department. “Thank you, Dennard, for this meeting.”

By the time he left, Gemma was thinking of tackling another set of documents sent for review. But the sight of her father strolling himself in the wheelchair through the door made her heart stop.

“Dad!” She exclaimed dropping the papers right away and half-running over to her beloved father. “What are you doing here?” She asked after kissing him on both cheeks. She wheeled him towards her desk and sat on the chair closest to him.

“Just surprising my daughter for lunch,” he grinned cheekily holding up a picnic basket in his lap.

Gemma took a good look at him. She hadn’t been able to visit the past weekend to see how he was doing. The change of the environment ever since her world turned upside down definitely was good impact on Vincent Braxton. His face and personality were brighter, no longer having to suffer through cramped spaces in their old apartment above the bakery.

“Something on my face, honey?” He teased.

“You look good, Dad. So handsome for a man your age.” She hugged him one more time.

Vincent chuckled heartily out in the room, bringing some live energy to the cold and apathetic office. “Quit teasing me, honey. Next thing you know, you have a sibling on the way.” He laughed even harder.

Gemma crinkled her nose. “Ew, Dad. Please just stop right there.”

“How are you doing, my gem?” He asked with a lingering smile on his face. “How’s my big shot, CEO daughter?”

Gemma shrugged. “I’m still me, doing all right personally. Stressed out as the new owner for Grandfather’s company.”

“How’s that working out for you?”

“Mr. Newton has been terrific help for me. Leila, my assistant, you might have seen her outside.” He nodded and she continued on. “She’s been on top of things, especially my busy schedule. She never fails in reminding me of meetings I have. Such an angel sent from above.” Gemma eyed the basket. “Mind if we eat and talk?”

He handed her the basket with the delicious homemade food. “Martha insisted on making these for you. She brags about still knowing your favorite foods.”

“Wow, these are a lot. Think we can eat this all by ourselves?”

“She specifically made a lot for you to bring home in your new apartment.”

Gemma laid out the containers of food along her desk, having a makeshift buffet table for her and her dad. “How did you get here, by the way?”

“Didn’t realize there was a driver just lounging around at that mansion. I took advantage and now here I am to surprise you. Were you surprised?”