Seven

Chapter Seven (picture of Gemma)

Gemma couldn’t deny the excitement she felt as she walked into the building next Wednesday morning. Last night had been one of the most chilled nights she has had despite the very busy hours of work. And it was all thanks to Marcelo.

Marcelo. The man who’s given her quite possibly the best kiss of her life the night before. She couldn’t wait to do it again. But she still wasn’t sure on where things were for the both of them. Would it be awkward? Would he act like nothing happened? Those thoughts made Gemma jittery and excited, but she decided she would just play along if Marcelo acted like nothing happened.

“Good morning, Leila,” she greeted her assistant with utmost enthusiasm.

“Miss Gemma… morning.” Leila eyed her boss carefully while typing something into her computer. “Is there anything you want me to set up for today?”

Gemma thought about it for a moment. There were the sales reports for the hotel she had to look over with the help of Marcelo. It would be his first time helping as her mentor. “Nothing for right now, thanks Leila. I’ll let you know if anything comes up.”

“Sure thing, boss. I’ll just be here if you need anything.”

Gemma was about to continue in through her office before she spun back around and faced Leila. “Oh, and can you please ask Mr. Valacari’s assistant when he would be arriving?” She tried to mask her eagerness by fingering the flowers on her assistant’s desk.

“I thought as your mentor, he would be telling you personally?” Leila asked with a curious look to her youthful face.

“Telling me what?” She asked dropping her hand from the vase.

“He went back to Italy last night.” Last night? As in the same night he kissed her so passionately?

If it weren’t for wandering eyes on the floor and Leila’s inquisitive personality, Gemma’s jaw would be on the floor.

“He had things come up in his company and a business gala to attend to. He said he’d be back by Friday evening.”

Gemma gathered up her poise once again and nodded with a smile. “No, he didn’t inform me but thanks for letting me know.”

“Of course.” Leila smiled genuinely. “Do you want any coffee? Breakfast? Kolaches?” She winked indicating she knew about Marcelo’s little gift to her yesterday.

“No thank you, Leila. I had something to eat this morning actually. Woke up a bit early.” She laughed, said her goodbyes, and went straight to her office shutting the door and leaving the noise behind her.

Marcelo was gone. Just like that. Gemma couldn’t believe it. He could have at least let her know himself. She thought that after everything they shared last night, things between them would be different. Who was she kidding? Of course everything between them would change! But she had hopes it would change for the better.

To keep her mind from wandering to the man again, she busied herself in her work. For the better part of the morning, she looked over the sales report with the director of the financing department. He kindly broke it down for her and taught her how to read the charts. Although, Gemma already knew what the line graphs going downward meant. They weren’t bringing in enough revenue to keep the hundreds of hotels they had in business.

“Why is the sales in Miami even lower than the rest?” Gemma asked Dennard with a puzzled expression on her face. “I thought the hotel would be a hit among tourists.”