27. Awake {part two}

Start from the beginning

"I wish I could be there for her," she sighed, thumbing over the bandage across her wrist. "Maybe I could help."

"I know, baby," Leah said, "I know. But you've got to get your rest. You've been through a lot over the last twenty-four hours, and the best thing you can do for yourself now is rest."

"You should get some rest too, Mom." Skye settled back into the hospital bed, sighing. "You look exhausted. And I'm sure you could use some proper sleep. It's perfectly okay if you go home—I'll be in good hands."

Jules chirped in then, and Skye startled, having almost forgotten that he was sitting right next to her. "She's right, Mrs. Montgomery—you could use rest yourself. You've been up for hours with her already, and you've got to do what's in the baby's best interest, too. Like Skye said, she's in good hands here. You have nothing to worry about."

Skye turned to look at him, mouthing a quick "thank you", before turning around, clutching Leah's hand in hers, and adding, "Please, Mom? I'll be okay. Just go home and get some rest."

With a heavy sigh Leah nodded her head. "All right." She stood up slowly and kissed Skye on the forehead, smiling down at her daughter. "I'll go. I'll get some rest for now. But I'll be back later. "

"That's all we're requesting," Jules said, standing up. "Let me walk you out to your car."

Skye frowned at his proposal, reaching her hand out and grabbing the fabric of his T-shirt. "Wait!" she croaked. "Please stay. Please stay with me, Jules."

He glanced down at her, gaze warm and inviting. "You want me to stay?"

She nodded. "I do."

A smile crawled up the corners of his lips as he turned towards Leah. "Rain check?"

Leah giggled, waving him off. "Don't worry about it, Julian. Skye could use your company more than I. But thank you for the offer."

He grinned. "Anytime."

Warmth wrapped Skye in its satisfying clutches as she watched Jules return to his seat next to her. He pulled her hand in his and gently laced their fingers together, before placing a soft kiss on her hand. She shivered at the brush of his lips on her skin, and tried to relax herself again before unwanted images of Johnny could enter her mind. She told herself that it was only Jules and he wouldn't hurt her.

When she took a deep, cleansing breath, she felt her insides flutter with a pure balance of tranquility. Jules loved her. Deeply. And he was there, watching over her, wanting nothing more than to comfort her.

She really was in good hands.

"How're you feeling, Trouble?" Jules asked, and immediately Skye was snatched away from her thoughts and gathered back into the present. "Better now that I'm here?" He was suddenly grinning ear to ear.

Her stomach flipped nervously. "Yes," she whispered. "Much better."

He laughed, but the sound was quiet and short-lived. His grin vanished, replaced by a quivering frown. When she looked into his eyes all she could see was this distant twinkle of longing, outlined by pain, and it tugged at her heartstrings. "I'm so glad you're okay, Trouble. I was so worried I was going to lose you." His eyes bore right into her soul, and she could feel tears sting in the back of her eyelids. He crumbled then, burying his face in their entwined hands. "Don't you ever scare me like that again, Skye! I don't know what I'd do without you."

The urgency and pain in his voice struck her in the heart, and she felt an aggressive pull to cuddle into him and tell him she wasn't going anywhere anytime soon. Not this time. Not like that. Never again.